Organization Strategy -- 1000+ PDF

Hi All,
First off -- I LOVE Zotero.. So amazing.

So, I've created about 20 collections (Zotero local installed), one for every different subject.

I've made a new folder called 'IN', and am trying to drag and drop pdfs into collections.

The way I picture it, I'll need to drag it where it needs to go, then delete it from 'IN' collection.

That all makes sense, but I'm wondering if anyone has any faster workflow tips? Given the quantity of papers I'm trying to organize, I'm moving quite slowly.

Thanks for any tips,
Thoreau
  • edited December 30, 2017
    After using 2 years, I simplified my collections based on conference or journal.
    For example, I have 5 core collections (arxiv-pending, cv, cv-minor, ml, ml-minor).
    arxiv-pending contains the interesting papers uploaded on arxiv, which are not published, yet.
    cv contains the major conference or journal papers related to an area, while cv-minor for minor papers. ml for major papers related to another area, while ml-minor for minor papers.
    After arrangement based on conference or journal, I feel more organized and easy to find the papers of what I want.
  • Generally, I only use Collections to organize items belonging to the same project or for other workflow-related groups (e.g., To Read). For topics, I usually use tags.
  • Hello,
    thank you for the insights. They are helping me already.
    Just the kind of tips I was looking for.

-t