Cannot find my Zotero account

I am trying to log on to my Zotero account on a new laptop after my old one broke. I will have used one of only two emails, and neither is recognised as an account.

What should I do?
  • Do you have your Zotero data directory or a backup from the old laptop?
  • No - I'm not sure where/how I would have that?
  • Do you have a backup of your hard drive from from your old laptop at all, or is your hard drive from it still accessible?
  • I do have my old hard drive actually.
  • Okay, on your old hard drive, find your Zotero profile folder:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/profile_directory

Then, open the prefs.js file and search for "extensions.zotero.sync.server.username". That will show you what your username is. You can use that to login (or recover your password if you forgot). If you can't remember the email address for that username, then email support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and your username and explain the situation.

You can also copy the Zotero data folder (different from the profile folder) from the old computer to your new computer. See here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library
  • Hi, thanks for your help. I have plugged my old hard drive into my computer, but cannot work out how to find the Zotero profile folder. The link says to go to c: drive documents and settings - but I don't understand how to do that when it is just a hard drive full folders? Forgive me for being computer illiterate!
  • What operating system were you running on the old computer? And when you plugin in the hard drive, what are the folders you see at the top level?
  • It was Windows 10.

Folders are: inetpub, intel, perflogs, program files, program files (x86), SWsetup, users, windows

Thank you
  • edited December 6, 2017
    Look in Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles\<randomstring>
  • There is no Roaming folder under application data. Only a folder called XMind. Ive had a look around under my username folder and cannot find anything called Zotero.
  • Note that it’s the AppData folder, not “application data”. That folder is hidden by default on Windows, so make sure hidden files are visible:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files
  • Ah, I see.
    I have followed the instructions for revealing hidden files, however when I search for folders, I cannot see an option for show hidden files (lots of files show up, but nothing about showing hidden files). It seems that I can also show hidden files by going to 'advanced settings' instead - where do I find advanced settings?
  • edited December 7, 2017
    You don’t need to search for a folder. You need to change Windows’ display settings in the Folder Options window to show hidden files. Please follow the link I gave above for instructions on how to do that.

Edit: Ah, I see that the Windows 10 instructions aren’t particularly clear anymore. If you use the Windows 8.1 instructions, they should be the same.
  • Thank you! Sorted that bit - now when I go to appdata\roaming\Zotero\Zotero\profiles the only folder that shows is 7vwcgtt.default (there is no prefs.js file) (nor is there a prefs.js file within the 7vwcgtt.default file)
  • What are the contents of 7vwcgtt.default?

Were you ever using Zotero for Firefox? If so, check for the Zotero folder in the Firefox profile directory.
  • Hi, I wasn't using it for Firefox.

The contents are the following folders: Zotero; webapps; gmp; crashes

Then in that Zotero folder is: locate; storage; styles; translators
  • @dstillman Any other ideas here?