Saving Webpages, Bookmarklet Translator Not Working

I am at a Windows shop and only have access to IE. In the previous version of Zotero, I could begin a citation for an item and then change it so it formats as a webpage properly. Apparently that feature is gone, and there is no feature to add a webpage. I have the bookmarklet, but it never works. The translator errors out or says the webpage is unsupported. I've used Zotero for years, but it looks like I've hit a brick wall with saving webpages to my resource library. What's the work around?
  • I am at a Windows shop and only have access to IE. In the previous version of Zotero, I could begin a citation for an item and then change it so it formats as a webpage properly. Apparently that feature is gone, and there is no feature to add a webpage.
    I don't follow and I'm not aware of any feature being removed in that respect. You can still create a new item & then change its item type to webpage.
  • Dear Adamsmith,

I also face a problem with the bookmarklet on both Chrome and iphone's Safari, where the apparently login page try to appear but just leave a white square blocking the page and not loading. Tried to reinstall the bookmark but this does not change the problem. How can we solve this issue ?

NB: no possibility for me to install the chrome addon.
  • edited September 14, 2017
    As a side question, why can’t you install the Chrome addin?
  • Thanks, AdamSmith! That was the missing info I needed. I can work around the bookmarklet and translator not working by adding the citations manually, which is what I've been doing at work. I missed the "item type" with the slight change to the interface.
  • I also face the problem that there is no translator found (for the state library, which definitely had worked before). I'd like to use it at work, where I am not allowed to install anything, so I must use the bookmarklet.

Is it possible to see al list of translators to check wether a site is supported or not or what else could I do?
  • Libraries typically don't have individual translators (we have translators for most catalog systems which work across libraries), so a full list doesn't help you. What's the URL?
  • yeah, not supported via Bookmarklet (we can import individual items using a generic format not supported in the bookmarklet).
    We have an open ticket for the translator system used (https://github.com/zotero/translators/issues/737 ) but I'm pretty sure even with a translator this wouldn't work with the bookmarklet, I'm afraid.

I'd suggest downloading the RIS file the catalog provides (when clicking on "Export nach Zotero") and importing it when you're back at home as a workaround

Just to confirm that browser extensions are also not allowed at work?
  • I was really sure that this had worked in the past, but ok... I did not really understand, why it cannot work with the bookmarklet, but I thank you very much for the quick responses.
    Unfortunately I'm not allowed to install browser extensions, so I'll have to use the workaround you provided.
  • I'm pretty confident this never worked with the bookmarklet on this version of the library catalog, I'm afraid. I think WLB used a different catalog that would have worked until ~2013.