Report ID: 796438249

Hi,

I've been trying to sync my library from the Standalone version of Zotero, but it keeps failing. It's struggling with items that for some reason have a weirdly long collection of names in the Editor field. I can remove this field, but then it finds another one with the same problem. It seems to be items from Medline that have this extra Editor field. The error message says:

"The creator name ‘Jeon K, Koh SO, Park MS, Choi WI, Koh Y, Lim CM, H…’ is too long to sync.

Search for the item with this creator and shorten it. Note that the item may be in the trash or in a group library.

If you receive this message repeatedly for items saved from a particular site, you can report this issue in the Zotero Forums."

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tamsin
  • edited June 5, 2017
    Sorry, this is a really stupid question, but do you have all these authors in one field in the Zotero, or each author is filled in its own author field (on a separate line)?
    New line for an author can be added by clicking on the plus button on the right from the author field.
  • This is imported from Ovid Medline?
  • edited June 6, 2017
    Yes, this is an import from Ovid Medline.

It seems to have done something odd where it put a load of authors in one Editor field in each affected record (not all of them are like this). In affected records the authors of the paper appear in separate author fields, and then in addition there is an Editor field with a long string of names in it. I have no way of telling how many of the >2000 records have this problem. Zotero won't sync till each affected record has had the Editor field deleted, but I spent 5 hours yesterday deleting, trying to sync, failing, getting an error report naming a new record that has this problem (it only gives one each time) deleting the affected field, trying to sync again etc.. It doesn't seem feasible to just keep doing this till all of the affected records have been edited individually.

Is there a fix for this problem?
  • Would the fix that's been mentioned before work here - so opening the RIS files in Notepad ++ with a variable of the following such that it picks up editor (if necessary) not author?

This is what was suggested in a previous post: "If you open the whole RIS file in a regex capable text editor like Notepad++ and search & replace in regex mode (with . match new line _unselected_) for
    \r\nA2 - .+ replacing it with nothing, that should do it."

However, I am not particularly wonderful with technology so I have no idea what the bit after search and replace means....in practice :-( Can anyone help?

Thanks!

• Hi sorry, this is the original poster. I have had to delete my account in its entirety because even emptying it and uninstalling it didn't work. I am now running into problems again despite leaving out my MEDLINE imports currently - this is with some Web of Science imports. Can anyone help me with the above MEDLINE issue first of all? Thankyou!
  • Hi sorry to post again. Is anyone able to help with this MEDLINE issue please? I'm totally stuck and can't progress. Thankyou!