Sync problem. new laptop and fresh FF install

Good morning,

I have just set up zotero on a fresh install of FF on a new laptop. No joy syncing my library. The log tells me that:

Warning: NetUtil.asyncFetch() requires the channel to have one of the security flags set in the loadinfo (see nsILoadInfo). Please create channel using
NetUtil.newChannel()

Could someone advise on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Todd
  • edited September 16, 2016
    We'd need a Report ID and the actual problem (message, etc.) you're facing.
  • Thanks for responding. The report id submitted is: 282515.

The begining of the error block reads:

[JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this._recipeManager is null" {file: "resource://gre/modules/LoginManagerParent.jsm" line: 78}]
    [JavaScript Error: "TypeError: this._recipeManager is null" {file: "resource://gre/modules/LoginManagerParent.jsm" line: 78}]

Thank you!

Todd
  • edited September 16, 2016
    No, that's just the contents of the error report, which we have from the Report ID — we need you to tell us the actual problem you're reporting. In other words, "No joy syncing my library" isn't meaningful. Are you receiving an error message?
  • Not that I am seeing. I am visually impaired and use a screen reader, so it is possible something is being displayed that isn't being read. But there is nothing overt being shown. The only indication of a problem is the lack of info coming into the new library and the log message copied earlier.

Thanks again,

Todd
  • Here is something from my last look at the log which looks more like an error. Hope this gives you something to run with:

1474049036716 Toolkit.Telemetry WARN TelemetrySession#content::detachObservers - Failed to remove cycle-collector-begin: [Exception... "Component returned
    failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIObserverService.removeObserver]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/TelemetrySession.jsm
    :: detachObservers :: line 1382" data: no] Stack trace: detachObservers()@resource://gre/modules/TelemetrySession.jsm:1382 < uninstall()@resource://gre/modules/TelemetrySession.jsm:1731
    < Impl.observe()@resource://gre/modules/TelemetrySession.jsm:1845

• If you're getting a sync error, there should be an error icon that appears to the left of the sync button in the Zotero toolbar, and you can click on that to see a dialog with an explanation of the problem. Hopefully that's accessible via a screen reader.

From our logs it looks like it's repeatedly trying to download your full library. That seems to not be going through for some reason, but it's hard to say why not without the text from the error dialog.
  • I'm not sure how well sync errors are captured by screen readers. There would be an error icon that appears next to the sync arrow, which is at Zotero's top right. You'd get an error message on clicking that -- this may just be a sync conflict that needs to get resolved.

(Apologies, I don't know enough about screen readers to be sure I'm giving particularly helpful instructions here)
  • Good evening,

I had a couple of people take a look at my screen for the error button and they couldn't see anything either. So I just uninstalled Firefox and deleted the profile. Reinstalled everything and sync is working. Interestingly, the process complained about conflicting data. But my two laptops seem to be talking to each other and the Zotero server now which makes me really happy!

The error code I referred to in my earlier posting had something to do with corrupted windows update folders. Windows troubleshooter reported fixing this problem. It still took completely uninstalling FF and deleting associated profiles to get sync working.