Zotero Standalone Connector not downloading for Firefox

Hello all,

I am trying to install the Zotero connector for Firefox (I use Standalone) and it is not downloading no matter how many times I try. I am running Windows 8.1 Pro on a fairly new PC. The first time I tried to install the connector it worked but I didn't sync my library to the connector so I tried again. The dialog box asking about first time set up does not show up nor does the icon show up in the Firefox toolbar. But when I go into Firefox add ins, Zotero seems to be installed but I can't use it at all. I've tried restarting my computer and uninstalling/installing Firefox and neither has worked. Is there a way to have both standalone connectors and a way for me to successfully install the download again? I appreciate any help!

Thank you.
  • If it's listed in about:addons, it's installed. What happens if you click on "Options" there -- does that open the Zotero preferences?

If you press alt in Firefox, is Zotero listed under Tools? If so, what happens when you click on it there?
  • Hello!

I apologize for it taking me so long to reply, there was the glitch with the forums. If I go into about: add ons, Zotero is listed under there and when I click on options, the Zotero preferences window opens. If I press alt Zotero is listed under tools and if I click on it, the Zotero pane opens but the connector is still not installed in the toolbar where the bookmarks, home button, etc. are. When I first downloaded Zotero for Firefox, I forgot to sync my existing Standalone library so I was looking for a way to reinstall it or change it so it does sync with Standalone. Thank you!
  • So it looks like I have the add in installed but i don't have the icon in the toolbar for Firefox:..strange!
  • See if it's listed under "Customize" in the Firefox menu. (The three bars at the right)
  • Three things are listed under customize...Zotero, Save to Zotero and Zotero (Combo)...do I just click and drag the icon(s) over to the toolbar? And how do I sync the Firefox connector with my existing Standalone library?
  • Yes, you'd click and drag the Combo one to the toolbar.
    By default, Firefox add-on and Standalone are "synced" (i.e. they share a data directory). If they don't, see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sharing_data_directory
  • Everything seems to be working--the icon is now in the Firefox toolbar and both versions are synced with my library (I forgot to sign in to the Firefox connector!) Thank you very much for all your help!
This discussion has been closed.