[5.0 Beta] Instability in typing Korean letters.

As for the problem concerning typing of Korean letters, I bug reported last year : https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/52679/editing-notes-with-occasional-inconsistency/#Item_29

Until now the bug hasn't been fixed in Zotero Standalone version.
So nowadays I use {Zotero(4.0.29.10)+Korean firefox version(47.0)} without any problem.

Today I newly installed and tested 5.0 beta version, and found that there is the same errors concerning typing Korean letters.

I had no problems in typing English letters, but when I started to input Korean letters, the cursor went to the first line. I couldn't control it.

I tried many times and got the same results.
I recorded the screen for your understanding.

You can see the video at this link:
http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/zotero_error_report.avi

As you know, the typing errors in Standalone version aren't serious, because I have an alternative, that is, Firefox version.

But in this case, typing errors are too big problems for me who write the phD thesis using Zetero.

Please fix the bug. I look forward to good news.
  • Is this actually the same problem? I thought the issue before was that the cursor was moving up to the end of previous line — this seems to be moving to the beginning of the note.

The previous issue was a Firefox bug, not something in Zotero, so it's unlikely to have resurfaced in a new version of Zotero.

If you keep typing without stopping at all, does it ever happen? Or is it only if you pause briefly? My guess is that this is an issue with auto-saving.
  • edited June 16, 2016
    Thanks for your response.

But as you saw the video, I typed English letters and Korean letters in a row without any pause.

And... The phenomenon happened when I typed without any pause.

In your words, my guess is following:

1) If the problem is concerned with the auto-saving, why didn't the previous version (for example Zotero for Firefox 4.x) have the same problem with Korean letters?

2) Like in the video, I typed the Korean letters without any pause. Is there any possibility that Zotero regards 2-byte-language typing as typing with some pause and starts auto-saving in a new version? As I'm not an engineer, I don't have the answer.

If it helps you, I am willing to make another tries into video files. Just tell me what you want to see.
  • edited June 16, 2016
    When I type Korean letters in [HTML Source Editor] window, there are no typing errors.

Can this help you find out the cause?
  • edited June 16, 2016
    To be clear, the pause here would be a fraction of a second. If you add the Date Modified column to the middle pane you can see when it updates, which will show if auto-saving is the issue.
  • edited June 16, 2016
    On your words, I recorded what happened to auto-saving during typing Korean letters.

You can get the avi file in the following URL:

http://acpforkr.cafe24.com/zotero_korean_letters_error_20160617.avi

I hope you find out something meaningful in the avi file.

When the error happens, Modified time doesn't change ; when the error happened I wait for a few seconds but the time doesn't change.

Current version is Zotero 5.0-beta.r6+f9449b1
  • If you look at the video, you'll see that the Date Modified time is changing every time it skips back to the beginning, so this definitely seems to be about auto-save. It doesn't appear to be happening every time auto-save triggers, though. I won't be able to look into this until next week, but I've created an issue for it.

In the meantime, could you provide a Debug ID for one instance of this happening?

(It also seems like auto-save triggers while you're forming the characters — my guess is that the system intercepts the keystrokes for the Korean characters and doesn't send them to the application until they're complete, so Zotero doesn't receive the keystrokes and starts the auto-save. Probably nothing we can do about that, and the auto-save still shouldn't lose the cursor position.)
  • OK. Here is Debug ID : D405487683

I did what was necessary for reporting Debug ID.

Thanks for your kind response. I will wait for a good news.
  • The problem is not fixed yet.
    Is there anyone who can find the cause and fix it ?

I'm waiting...
  • I believe this should be fixed in the latest beta, r23. (There was an issue with note auto-save that wasn't limited to Korean text.)
  • Wow. Very good news for me! Thanks.
  • edited July 31, 2016
    When writing notes in default condition, note-taking works very fine.

But when writing notes "in a separate window", the auto-save concerned problem reappears. That is, from time to time the cursor comes back to the beginning position. Please have a look and fix it.

My Zotero version: 5.0beta.r29+d5b2f67.
  • OK, try in r30.
  • All right. Everything is OK in r30.
    Thanks~.