Can't install Zotero plugin with MAC Open Office

I have a MAC OS X, 10.5.4, Intel processor. I downloaded Open Office Beta and tried to install the Zotero plugin. I got a hairy error message -- I have a screen shot that I can email somebody -- but among other other things it talks about python loader exceptions system error and couldn't find uno_uno_extract_printer_stacktrace.

Can somebody help me with this??? I'd really like to use Zotero with Open Office.

I've tried the X11 version of Open Office but that doesn't work either with Zotero.
  • The currently released Zotero OpenOffice plugin isn't compatible with OOo 3.0. We'll soon be releasing a new version that is compatible with 3.0, but in the meantime you might want to try NeoOffice. (The X11 version of OOo 2.4 should work with Zotero, but, in general, it doesn't work as well on the Mac as NeoOffice.)
  • Dan-- Thanks much. NeoOffice is working like a charm with Zotero. The program itself is doing some strange things. It seems to be a little unstable, so I'll be looking forward to having a good OO plugin for MAC that doesn't need X11. I can't get Zotero to work with the X11 version and it is too cumbersome to use anyway on a MAC, as you pointed out.

Appreciate your efforts.
  • Friends, there is a fix for Mac OS X OpenOffice Python available from eurooffice. As posted elsewhere on the Zotero forums, you can install the Python patch. Once the Python patch is installed, you can install the Mac OS X Zotero plugin for OpenOffice without any difficulty.

I installed the plugin today and checked that it functioned for a footnote and a bibliography. It's possible there will be issues with more complex functions, but it required no special configuration to create the first reference and bibliography.

Good luck!
  • I used the EuroOffice plugin on a MacBook Pro (10.5.6) and Zotero installed and worked wonderfully (Thanks EuroOffice folks!)

When I tried this on a Quad Core Xeon, however, there was a problem Everything seemed to install correctly but Zotero will not show up in the tool bar or as a seperate pane. Thus, I seem to have no access to it's menu even though OpenOffice 3.0 seems to think that the extension is there (at least under the extension manager window). However, NeoOffice on the same machine and same Zotero extension (2.0a2) works perfectly.

Any ideas??

Pablito
  • Problem Solved by some nice people at EuroOffice. It was suggested that if there was an earlier attempt to install Zotero prior to the using the EuroOffice Python Patch, there may be some left over "bits" that prevent Zotero from functioning properly.

Thus, I removed the "~/Library/ApplicationSupport/OpenOffice.org" directory for OpenOffice 3.0 and restarted it. While I lost the preferences and extensions I had put in previously, when re-installed, they worked fine, including Zotero 2.0a2.

Well, there you have it.

Pablito.
  • No joy.

Even with nice EuroOffice plugin, Zotero not communicating with neoOffice or open office on mac 10.4.11 Both programs hang when I try to activate any Zotero buttons.