A field code in this document is corrupted (reference number 610662694)

Hello,

I have been working with Zotero for a long time with my account and it has always worked correctly. But yesterday I was working with it and suddenly, everytime that I wanted to insert a new reference, a field code error appeared.
I looked for the error report and this was the message that I found:

"[JavaScript Error: "A field code in this document is corrupted."]
[JavaScript Error: "JSON.parse: unexpected non-whitespace character after JSON data at line 1 column 5698 of the JSON data" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 2442}]
[JavaScript Error: "A field code in this document is corrupted."]

version => 4.0.29.4, platform => Win32, oscpu => Windows NT 5.1, locale => ca-CA, appName => Firefox, appVersion => 45.0, extensions => Zotero Word for Windows Integration (3.5.4, extension), Firefox Hello Beta (0.1, extension), Còdec de vídeo OpenH264 proporcionat per Cisco Systems, Inc. (1.5.3, plugin), Microsoft® DRM (9.0.0.4503, plugin, disabled), Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library (3.0.2.629, plugin, disabled), Microsoft® DRM (9.0.0.4503, plugin, disabled), Adobe Acrobat (8.1.0.137, plugin, disabled), Google Update (1.3.29.5, plugin, disabled)".

I've been trying with different documents and different references, and again the problem repeats. I have updated the last version of Firefox, the Zotero's plugings for Firefox and the Zotero's plugings for Word (2007). Even so, the error persists.

We have notified the error and the reference number is 610662694.

Waiting for your help.

Thank you.
  • does this occur in a new document or in a specific old one?
  • in a new one
  • @Dan -- do you have any idea what could be causing this? It's such an odd error to occur across the board.
  • I have no idea what is causing this error. But I have tried with different documents, and I think that the problem begins when I try to modify the order of the reference already introduced.
  • So this does not happen immediately? I was trying to ask whether what's happening is that you're inserting the first reference into a clean document and get this error. And the answer to that is no, correct?

How do you modify the order of the reference?
  • Sorry, I didn't understand you. It doesn't happen when I insert the first reference.
    To modify the order, I insert the new reference in the text and then I refresh zotero through Word Zotero toolbar
  • You are using Fields, not Bookmarks (under set Document Preferences), correct?

And are there steps which reliably trigger this?
    I.e. insert a reference, insert another reference before it, click refresh _always_ causes this error?

Are you pretty sure this isn't tied to a particular reference, i.e. you've tried this with more than just two or three?
  • Yes, I am using Fields not Bookmarks.

Is not always in all the documents, but yesterday I was working in my last paper and when I wanted to change the order, suddenly the error message appeared. I have tried with different reference, and it always appeared. I think the reference is not the problem.

Can I try to check the integrity of the database (option in the preference of Firefox Zotero)? I have seen that there is another option in the preference -> search -> index rebuild, could it be useful?
  • unlikely to be the problem, but there's no harm in trying.