Newbie: trouble integrating with Open Office on MAC

Hello!

I'm having trouble setting up OPen Office and Zotero on a MAC. I've managed to transfer all my 2800 endnote references into Zotero (yay)and looks OK. I updated OS to El capitan (10.11.2) and have open Office 4.1.2 and Zotero 4.0.28.8.

Had trouble with integration, but finally the Zotero buttons showed up on Open Office - but when I click them nothing happens!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help much appreciated!
  • If you go to Tools --> Options --> Advanced in Libre Office, what does it say under JRE (Java Runtime Environment)?
  • Hello Adam

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction!Java was the problem. In case anyone else has the same issue here are the steps I followed:
    Tools -> extension manager (there was no 'options' - difference between libre Office and Open Office?)
    Click extension zotero libreoffice integration 3.5.9
    Got error message: the status of the extension is unknown
    clicked 'enable'
    Message: Open Office - binary URP bridge disposed during call
    Message: to open "Soffice" you need to install legacy Java SE6
    Clicked 'more info' led to webpage on apple support:
    Java for OSX 2015-001 download for legacy software
    https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

I downloaded and installed - 'Insert citation' button - now connects from Open Office to Zotero.

HOWEVER - no matter what I try I can't get styles to give me an author-date citation

Sorry to bother you again - but any suggestions? Clicking Chicago author-date style in style preferences should work but it doesn't. Would I be better off with Libre Office rather than Open Office?
  • Great. Could you specify what you mean by "I can't get the styles to..." -- what is happening when you insert a citation?
    (Instructions are here, btw. https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage maybe those help)

While this particular problem has likely nothing to do with OpenOffice, yes, you would be better off with LibreOffice. See e.g.
    https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2015/08/17/an-open-letter-to-apache-foundation-and-apache-openoffice-team/
    or, from a more neutral source:
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2015/sep/03/switch-openoffice-libreoffice-or-microsoft-office
  • Hi Adam
    When I inserted a citation using Chicago author-date style, it inserted a note style. reselected Chicago author-date style a couple of times, got same problem.
    Thanks for the links re libre office, very interesting.
    So: have uninstalled open office (moved to trash); installed latest libreoffice 5.0.4.2 . But couldn't get the integration with zotero to work. Preferences say add-in currently installed but does not show up in Office docs. Tried re-installing.

Here is process I went through:
    Zotero->tools->add-ons
    Extensions: ZoteroLibreOffice Integration 3.5.10.SA.4.0.28.8 - but got warning: Zotero LibreOffice Integration could not be verified for use in Zotero. Proceed with Caution.
    Went to Preferences.
    Said add-in currently installed.
    Clicked re-install addin button.New window: Select OO/NO/libreOffice unopkg executable
    Selected: /applications/libreoffice.app/contents/MacOS/unopkg
    Clicked manual installation.
    New window. Navigated to extension: Zotero_OpenOffice_Integration.oxt
    Double-clicked extension.
    New window: extension manager of LibreOffice
    Progress shows it has started to add extension, but it stalls, and everything freezes and I have to force quit libre office.

Any suggestions appreciated.
  • never heard of this as an issue before. Did you check the JRE version and set it to the legacy version 6?

(We'll troubleshoot the author-date issue once you've got this running, pointless otherwise).
  • Am not sure how to check JRE - Libre Office does not have Tools->options->advanced in my version, only Tools->macros/extensionmanager/customise

when I had open Office i did download following java:
  • odd -- I don't have a Mac here, but pretty sure LO should look the same cross platform. Looking at version 5.0.2.2 here -- what's the last option in the menu for you under Tools?
    And yes, the legacy version is what you want to use, but you may need to select it in LO.
  • Using LO 5.0.4.2
    Only 3 options under tools:
    Macros
    Extension manager
    customize
  • ugh. I hate OS-customization in cross-platform software. That'd be under the "LibreOffice" menu as "Preferences" instead:
    http://lowendmac.com/2014/speed-up-libreoffice-on-your-mac/
  • BTW - the discussion
    'Problem with Zotero and Word for Mac'
    seems to be having similar problems on MAC - first with Word 16 then also with LO plug-in crashing
  • I wouldn't interpret too much into that similarity. In your case the problem appears to occur during install. The user in the other thread experiences erratic crashes after a while of usage. Unless the error messages are similar, that's probably not actually related beyond the fact that LibreOffice seems to struggle on Macs.
  • OK

Just did the customization as per link you gave - but still have same problem of freezing and needing to force quit

Should I uninstall everything and start again. And if so which should I install first, OL or Zotero?
  • I'm generally a skeptic wrt reinstalling. More often than not you're just wasting time.

From your description, I'm not quite clear why you're installing the add-on manually. Did you try the regular re-install from the cite tab in Zotero with Libre Office closed and the start LO? Did that not work?

Is Zotero not listed under Tools --> Macros --> Organize Macros --> LO Basics (hoping this will be the same on Mac)?
  • Thanks for persisting with me Adam...

No zotero is not listed under Tools --> Macros --> Organize Macros --> LO Basics - I checked all in list.

Yes I did try regular re-install, got message there was an error but no indication what, clicked the report button (but the content of the report did not open for me to see and post here unfortunately. I had the feeling that maybe it didn't work properly either?). Hence did manual re-install, installation started then froze.

When I go to add-ons manager and click extensions:
    for Zotero LibreOffice Integration there is a message: that it "could not be verified for use in Zotero. Proceed with caution"
    Do you know what this is about?
  • you can disregard the "Proceed with Caution" message. It's a byproduct of Firefox extension signing (and will look right in the next version), but it has no effect on the add-on's actual performance.

Not sure how to proceed -- I'd maybe ask over at LO, too. Not entirely sure how their support works, but their product definitely shouldn't just crash/freeze.

Other thing that'd be helpful would be an error report ID from Zotero right after trying the regular (non-manual) install of the add-on.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • Thanks for the link on how to approach submitting errors.

I have reproduced the error and submitted the report.
    The report ID is 1553810843

The problem is not being able to install the Libre Office add-in.
    My configurations are:
    MAC OSX El capitan (10.11.2) and have Libre Office 5.0.4.2. and Zotero 4.0.28.8.

I am keen to get this to work as I believe in the importance of open source software enabling citizens to participate in democratic processes, including knowledge work. :-)
  • thanks.
    @Dan -- anything in the error report? I know this isn't your department, but any other ideas here?
  • Also - I have turned on again the legacy JRE in LO preferences/advanced, closed both LO and Zotero, restarted - no luck. The Zotero buttons are there at the top of the document, but they don't do anything when clicked.
  • You wouldn't believe it - I just had the idea that with the JRE turned on again maybe I should try installing again - and good grief it worked!I've just inserted a citation and bibliography successfully!

So sorry for the extended working through, and thanks so much for your assistance Adam, much appreciated. A happy little vegemite! (Australian expression :-)
  • that's great. Yeah, the LO experience on a Mac isn't what it should be. Should be smooth sailing from now on though.
  • In case anyone has similar problem, here's how I got LIbre Office to work; I used the legacy Java. You need to turn it on.
    1. Install the legacy Java

2. Go to: LibreOffice/preferences/advanced

3. Click on 'Use a Java runtime environment' (JRE is the acronym FYI in case you want to look it up) - you should have Oracle Corporation 1.8.0_66 showing up

4 restart LO and Zotero and (hopefully) voila!
  • Hello, friends! So I'm having the same problem. I have deleted and reinstalled Zotero, LibreOffice and Java (including the legacy version) in an attempt to make things work the same way nodding greenhood did, but now LibreOffice won't recognize the Java Plugin. It is there, in Library/Internet Plug-Ins, but when I try to add it to LibreOffice (via the Preferences>Advanced menu), it simply can't be selected (i.e., the file is paled). I'm getting kind of desperate, this is compromising my PhD thesis, so any help is welcome. Thanks in advance.

(BTW: I'm using a Mac, OS El Capitan).
  • edited February 13, 2016
    This can be really trying until the right magic is done in the proper sequence. I don't know exactly what to offer but here is what I think worked for me. (I can't be certain it will work for you as I am using LibreOffice 4.4.5.2 and I didn't try with LO 5. I managed to get things working with Zotero for Firefox.))

Here is what worked for me.

I started when I received notice of a Firefox update.
    I uninstalled the Zotero LibreOffice plugin before I updated FF.
    I updated FF.
    I completely uninstalled LibreOffice.
    I restarted my Mac.
    I reinstalled the LibreOffice software.
    I installed the Zotero LibrOffice plug-in
    I reinstalled the appropriate legacy Java 6 runtime from the Apple site.
    I opened LibreOffice
    It worked
    LibreOffice works with Z standalone as well.

I didn't need to point LibreOffice to the JRE.

This sequence worked for me after multiple attempts at doing other things.

If the experts have advice about security issues I will be pleased to learn. Likewise, I am interested in learning if LO5 is without problems.

I understand that the primary issue is with LibreOffice and their treatment of the JRE. Is this still the primary issue?