Converting error

I've got a paper going with 50 citations done in the Chicago Manual of Style format. When I try to convert it to BMJ style it freaks out and puts 50 citations at the spot where just the first one should go. Then for each subsequent citation just has the citation number in brackets as the cited reference in the footnotes. Any idea how to make a smoother conversion?
  • When I try to convert it to BMJ style it freaks out and puts 50 citations at the spot where just the first one should go.
    There's two issues:
    The main thing is that Chicago Manual and BMJ are two very different citation styles: Chicago Manual puts full references in footnotes (or endnotes) in the text. BMJ puts a citation as a number in the text and then has a bibliography, where numbers are matched to the corresponding items. So that's the main thing you're seeing.

The additional hitch is that, when using Chicago set to "endnotes" rather than footnotes, the notes don't convert properly to in-text citations. So what you'd want to do is go back to the Chicago-formatted document, set it to footnotes, and then again convert to BMJ.
  • Even with it set to footnotes it does the same thing
  • Could you try this in a fresh document with just one or two citations? I want to make sure we're not talking past each other.