zotero standalone keeps freezing at start up

Hi, I'm having a problem with zotero standalone and chrome extension. It has been going on for a while and it gets worse.

1. Zotero standalone freezes (not responding) during starts up of the program. Initially I thought that I was hitting the storage limit, but I have just upgraded the storage and the problem persists. At this moment, I can't have the standalone running at all.

2. I have been having problem with saving any journal article, where both the chrome extension and the standalone would freeze. If the standalone isn't running, I can save the article.

Please advise. Thanks!
  • So at startup, it eventually comes back from being frozen, right? If so, how long is the freeze? Can you provide a Debug ID for startup using the "Enable after restart" option?
  • edited May 11, 2015
    [edit: ignore; essentially the same thing Dan asks].
  • Hi, here is the debug ID D847035218.

In the past, it would take me several restart until the standalone ran. But it would freeze again upon saving an article.

Recently, it just freezes and eventually crashed. For the logging that I sent you, I think it was about 10-15 min before it crashed.

Thanks!

Siman
  • edited May 11, 2015
    We need debug output from Zotero Standalone — again, using the "Enable after restart" option to cover startup. Forget the connector for the moment.
  • Hi, here we go again D1097842497.

I need to restart a few times to get the debug output. And right after I managed to open the advance option and got the debug output, the standalone froze again.
  • Temporarily disable file syncing in the Sync pane of the preferences. Does the freeze go away?
  • Yes. After I turned off the sync, it hasn't frozen for a few hours. what do i do now to have it auto-sync without freezing?
  • Is your Zotero data directory on a network drive or somewhere other than your local hard drive?

The first auto-sync of a session, whenever you sync manually, and for auto-syncs every few hours, Zotero will check all your local files for modifications. This shouldn't take more than a few seconds unless you have a very large library.

Your debug output above is cut off, though, and doesn't show the full check. Can you reenable file syncing, start debug output logging, click the Sync icon, let it complete the sync, and then submit the output?
  • edited May 11, 2015
    Dan, my data directory is in a network drive. Is it a problem? Do you want me to change the data directory to local drive?

I have just upgraded my storage, so the total file can't be bigger than ~300 MB or so.

The sync won't complete. When the sync icon stops, it always freezes and eventually crashes.
  • this will almost certainly go away if you move the data directory to a local drive, yes.
    We'd be curious what type of network drive you have/had this on, but there's very likely just no way to make that work.