Sort several authors in same citation/bibliography entry

Hi,

Is it possible to sort several authors in the same cite by alphabetic orders of family names? Currently they appear in the order they are entered in Zotero.

So for example an entry with authors Carlos Serrano and Serge Salaün (entered in this order in zotero) would appear as Serge Salaün and Carlos Serrano, or SALAÜN, Serge and SERRANO, Carlos for example.

The style I'm currently building is here : https://raw.githubusercontent.com/autra/zotero-style/master/lettres.csl
  • no. That's a bizarre requirement, since author order in academia is traditionally not just random. Is this actually required by a style?
  • edited September 7, 2014
    But I *precisely* want it to be sorted in alphabetic order of family names. So I do not want it random.

Currently, with a cs:names tags, zotero output several authors on the same cite in the orders they are entered in zotero. Of course, I can still change this order in zotero GUI, but this is not very convenient (as you can't really change the order, you have to enter them again) and I have more than 2000 cites, so if it is possible to do it automatically, I would be glad :-)

This is for a thesis in Paris 3.

EDIT : switched account, but I am the original poster :-)
  • See e.g. http://www.plosbiology.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pbio.0050018 for a discussion on author name order.

Since the author name order matters a lot in most academic fields, the name order in references must typically exactly match the order in the cited document.

This is probably the first request we've gotten to change name order, and CSL styles can't change it.
  • What Rintze says about name order. But also:
    as you can't really change the order, you have to enter them again
    is incorrect. You can click on the arrow to the left of a contributor and select "Move up" or "Move down".
  • > You can click on the arrow to the left of a contributor and select "Move up" or "Move down".

Oh I missed this one, thanks a lot, that makes things easier :-)

I understand the current behavior, it makes sense indeed. But if you guys want to add an option for doing that, you now know that one guy at least will use it :-)