File name too long and interupted sync (Error ID: 1787615819)

Hi,
I am not quite sure if this is the right way, or place, to report an error, so please disregard, if it is.

I am having sync problems between my home computer (xubuntu 14.04) and work computer (windows 7). I use the Zotero standalone on both computers and I have no problem with the work computer: the library visible on the zotero site and on my work computer are in sync.

However, on my home computer I keep receiving a message that a certain filename is too long. I have tried to shorten the attachment filename through the zotero site, but it does not help. All attempts to sync on my home computer are interupted by this error and I am missing several other files (that are on the zotero site as well as on my work computer).

Here is the error message:
[JavaScript Error: "_renamedStyles is null" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/style.js" line: 147}]
[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520011 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NAME_TOO_LONG) [nsIFile.moveTo]" nsresult: "0x80520011 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NAME_TOO_LONG)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _processDownload :: line 1504" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1566}]
[JavaScript Error: "The file 'GIIADAH4/05 Woods - Ceasefire capitalism - military-private partnerships, resource concessions and military-state building in the Burma-China borderlands.pdf' could not be created in the Zotero 'storage' directory." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 404}]
[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520011 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NAME_TOO_LONG) [nsIFile.moveTo]" nsresult: "0x80520011 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NAME_TOO_LONG)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js :: _processDownload :: line 1504" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 1566}]
[JavaScript Error: "Request cancelled getting storage file info" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage/zfs.js" line: 98}]
[JavaScript Error: "The file 'GIIADAH4/05 Woods - Ceasefire capitalism - military-private partnerships, resource concessions and military-state building in the Burma-China borderlands.pdf' could not be created in the Zotero 'storage' directory." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/storage.js" line: 404}]

version => 4.0.21.2, platform => Linux x86_64, oscpu => Linux x86_64, locale => en-US, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 4.0.21.2, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (3.5.9.SA.4.0.21.2, extension), Shockwave Flash (11.2.202.378, plugin), iTunes Application Detector (, plugin), VLC Multimedia Plugin (compatible Videos 3.10.1) (, plugin), Windows Media Player Plug-in 10 (compatible; Videos) (, plugin), DivX® Web Player (, plugin), QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6 (, plugin)
Below the error message
  • edited June 25, 2014
    That shouldn't happen — Zotero is supposed to handle that automatically — but you should be able to rename that file on the other computer and then sync both. You can't do it online. Note that you have to rename the actual file (and then relink it in Zotero, or you can rename it from Zotero itself) rather than just the attachment item.

Are you using filesystem encryption on this system?
  • edited June 25, 2014
    (Though as a temporary workaround you could delete the attachment item online, delete it from the trash, and then sync, and then add the file back from the Linux box.)
  • Dan,
    thank you for the quick reply. The temporary workaround did it. I had tried it before, but did not realize that deleted items remain in the trash-folder.

Thank you very much.

PS. I really appreciate the tech-support, not to mention this fantastic opensource program. My thanks to the developers.