Standalone with Firefox not syncing

When I attempt to sync using standalone and Firefox I see a little red exclamation point and get the message "error connecting to server check your internet connection". My connection is fine and I have already disabled my virus stuff so should be no problem with firewall.

When I try to report the errors shown below, by clicking 'next;, it says "Invalid response from repository".

Everything in my settings preference is set to sync automatically with the server. My file syncing is set to download files at "sync time'. I have already verified that I have the latest version of Zotero.

The basics of my operating system are:
Windows 8.1

Processor: Intel ® Celeron ® CPU 847 @ 1.10GHZ 1.10 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 2.00 GB (1.89 GB usable)
System type: 64 bit operating system, x64 - based processor
pen and touch: no pen or touch is available for display

[JavaScript Error: "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/sync.js" line: 652}]
  • are you syncing standalone or Zotero for Firefox? Those are two different things.
    Especially if your syncing standalone - are you using a proxy server?
  • edited April 25, 2014
    I am syncing standalone. But I have the plugin for Firefox. No I do not think I am using a proxy as I am simply working form home on a private Xfinity network
  • Check your system proxy settings. If you're not connecting via a proxy, make sure everything there is disabled.
  • I have verified everything is disabled, no proxy
  • The only other cause would really be some sort of security/firewall software that was preventing Zotero from connecting.
  • edited April 25, 2014
    Note, though, that as a quick workaround while you're troubleshooting this, if you also have Zotero for Firefox installed, you can simply close Standalone and then sync with Zotero for Firefox.
  • thanks everyone for your feedback. I've been plagued by problems using standalone- after trying the suggestion it has not synced. Perhaps I should just stop using that version and use another.
  • Which suggestion? You're saying you can't sync from Zotero for Firefox either?
  • are you saying above that you can not sync standalone with zotero firefox like on my mac.
    can you please help me with disabling firewall for zotero? is that possible.
    and if not please explain how to use firefox zotero. does that mean i have to redo all of the docs that are not in zotero firefoz already.
    Thankyou so kindly.
  • @rehemaafful - please start a new thread and step back a bit to describe what problem you're having specifically.
  • @rehemaafful: If you are having sync or firewall problems, you should start a new thread (with the red "Start a new discussion" button).

It's not clear what you are asking, so be sure to explain what steps you are doing, what result you expect, and what result you actually get. If English is awkward, feel free to post in your own language.

(In answer to your last question, whatever the issue is, if you have documents in Zotero already, you won't need to reenter them.)