Style Request: European Journal of International Law

Closest Known Style: OSCOLA No-ibid

http://www.zotero.org/styles/oscola-no-ibid

Publisher Stylesheet: http://www.ejil.org/about/STYLESH.pdf

Example of articles in books:

Buquicchio-De Boer, ‘Children and the European Convention on Human Rights’, in F. Matscher and H. Petzold (eds), <i>Protecting Human Rights: The European Dimension</i> (1988) 73, at 84.
  • See the 2nd point under 3. here:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles
  • OSCOLA chapter in book:

Hogue, Christopher W. V., ‘Structure Databases’ in Andreas D. Baxevanis and B. F. Francis Ouellette (eds), Bioinformatics (2nd edn, Wiley-Interscience 2001), 83.

EJIL chapter in book: doesn't include author first name or middle initials; comma succeeds chapter title (outside of single quotation mark); book title is italicized; publication year is the only thing in parens; cited page preceded by "at."

OSCOLA journal article:

Kötter, Peter, and Michael Ciriacy, ‘Xylose fermentation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae’ (1993) 38 Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 776.

EJIL journal article: doesn't include author first name or middle initials; comma succeeds chapter title (outside of quotation mark); journal title is italicized; parenthesized year follows journal title; first page of article included after year; cited pages preceded by "at."

EJIL:

Cross-references to the same work should be made as follows:
    Fawcett, supra note 31, at 12.

If that particular note contains two references by Fawcett, a short title should be given:

Fawcett, Supranationality, supra note 31, at 12. ‘Op. cit.’ should be avoided.

‘Ibid.’ is used where there are two or more consecutive
    references to the same work.

Multiple authors

Where there are more than three authors only the first author should be cited, e.g.
    G. Cohen-Jonathan et al., Droits de l’homme en France (1985).
  • that looks doable - but won't happen right away.
  • awesome - thanks. obviously this is my problem and not yours, but for context this is for an essay due Sept. 30th.
  • apologies for the long delay - I had a look. OSCOLA as included in Zotero is really unsatisfactory as a style.
    I strongly recommend having a look at Frank Bennett's MLZ project - a friendly fork of Zotero specifically designed for legal citations. It includes a polished OSCOLA style:
    www.citationstylist.org

Let me know if you're still interested in the EJIL style and I can help you with an MLZ version of that, I'm not very interested in doing this for regular Zotero, as any end product will still require significant manual editing.
  • @adamsmith, should we delete the OSCOLA styles from the repo?
  • I am new to Zotero, and am trying to change over because I am desperate to get the Oscola format - been playing with Endnote and Mendely for hours.

I installed Zotero, and now trying to install Frank Bennett's MLZ project-multi-2.xpi file. I click on the file - Zotero window opens and first get the message "Do you want to import the file "zotero-multi-2 (1).xpi"? I click yes

Message "Items will be added to a new collection"- but then keep getting the error that the 'selected file is not in the supported format. PLEASE help
  • @taragaby - please start a new thread and mark it as [MLZ] in the title.
    Generally it sounds like you're not installing MLZ, but trying to import it into Zotero, which won't work.
    Note that MLZ does not come as standalone at this time - it only works/exists as a Firefox extension. If you open the .xpi file in Firefox it will import automatically.

Note that MLZ is _not_ an add-on to Zotero. It is a different version of Zotero that replaces Zotero.
  • @Rintze - I don't think I'd like to delete OSCOLA at the moment, no. I think having people complain about it and then point them to MLZ is not that bad in terms of getting people to the right tools.

If you much prefer, I could at a minimum change the supra behavior in OSCOLA, but it just feels a bit silly when there is a much superior version out there (I looked into adapting that for regular CSL 1.0.1, but Frank uses a to of MLZ-only stuff)
  • Thanks adamsmith...really appreciated.
  • hi, thanks for the hints and discussion here. Yes, I am still interested in an EJIL style, but I'm thoroughly intimidated by the technical knowledge apparently needed to make use of MLZ. Having searched and read through a few MLZ threads, I don't feel savvy enough to create a whole different Firefox profile to run a plugin whose raison d'etre I don't fully understand. Zotero's great and intuitive! It'd be great if citing articles in EJIL or OSCOLA style were too!
  • MLZ's "raison d'etre" is that it offers better law support. Including, e.g. in its next version an item type for treaty, which I'd imagine would be rather important for someone working in international law. MLZ includes dozens of other fields and additions that allow accurate citations of various legal documents that aren't possible with regular Zotero.

You don't _have_ to create a separate Firefox profile to use MLZ - you can just install it instead of Zotero - separate FF profiles allow you to use both to test them, though, and aren't exactly rocket science to create either.

As I say above, considering the inherent limitations working with law citations with regular Zotero, I for my part, am not going to invest any time in half-heartedly fixing up styles that work much better in MLZ. We'll obviously accept updates to the styles on the repository if someone else wants to do that. There is a high chance that many, probably most of MLZ's features will eventually find their way back into Zotero, but we're likely looking at a time horizon of >1 year for that.