Partial PDF Indexing then failure

After a 2-year break from Zotero, I have begun using Zotero again with my original citations and PDF attachments. However, I noticed that the new PDF's being added were not being indexed (while all of the historical ones indexed just fine).

The big change in my setup was moving my Ubuntu Linux version to 12.04LTS. I'm also aware that Firefox is updating fast and furiously. To test what was going on, I cleared my current index (which I'm now regretting) and re-indexed.

It happily indexed 148 documents (great!!); however, it didn't index the other 538 (not so great). I know for a fact that before I cleared the index, there were only ~30 PDFs that were either just images or had security on them that wouldn't index -- so that leaves 500 PDFs that should be indexing!? And I've re-checked a couple for their security settings and they are open and search-able, still present, etc.

What am I missing?

I am using: Ubuntu-64 12.04LTS | Firefox 18 | Zotero 3.0.11

The Debug ID is D1978352632.

Thanks for your help!
  • A much smaller debug report made by attempting to index a small subsection is Debug ID is D560493212. This might be easier than the 2000+ lines from the full re-index...
  • edited January 9, 2013
    Delete the pdfinfo and pdftotext files from your Zotero data directory, restart Firefox, and reinstall them from the Search pane of the Zotero prefs.

If that doesn't help, try running some of the pdftotext commands from the debug output from the command line.
  • That worked great. There were two copies of pdfinfo and pdftotext in the Firefox directory (the 32-bit copy was likely left-over from indiscriminately copying over my Zotero backup to the new Ubuntu install). So, although the current 64-bit versions were present, something was confused.

After 20 minutes of indexing, everything appears to be indexed appropriately.

Thanks!