Zotero crashing when syncing to webdav

Zotero firefox 3.0.8 started to crash when uploading files to webdav using firefox 15.0.1 on OS X 10.7.4., and also makes firefox crash.

I therefore installed zotero standalone 3.0.8.1, which worked fine until I added a few pdfs, now zotero standalone also crashes when uploading files.

I have not been able to get report ID's or use live debug, since the log is cleared during crash. I am sorry for this and realise that my post therefore is utterly unhelpful.

Zotero functions fine when I am not connected to internet, since it cannot sync then, and therefore do not crash.

I have done several restarts/safe restarts.
  • edited September 12, 2012
    Just to be clear, do you mean "crash" or "freeze"?

You should be able to generate real-time debug output even if you can't submit a Debug ID.

If it's an actual crash, load about:crashes in the Firefox address bar and look for a relevant crash. If you find one, click through and provide the Mozilla URL. (If it's being killed due to an out-of-memory error, you won't see a crash report there, though.)
  • Zotero is fully responsive, but when the upload bar is halfway finished, firefox (or zotero standalone, depending upon which one I am using) "disappears"like when i quit the program -and I get the question whether or not I want to submit a bug report or restart the program.

Thanks for the debug help, mozilla crach url is:
    https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/75401798-c052-4687-a38b-5019f2120913

Real time debug:
    After a large number of Initializing... Queing... for a number of 'null/...' the following lines are when something starts happening (i.e. I get different lines of texts). The last line Ive copied is the last line of the output, then Firefox crashes.

---

zotero(3): Initializing request 'null/ZXWAXBKD'

zotero(3): Queuing upload request 'null/ZXWAXBKD'

zotero(3): Starting upload request 'null/54TZAG7C'

zotero(5): SELECT ROWID FROM items WHERE libraryID IS NULL AND key=?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type string: "54TZAG7C"

zotero(3): Creating zip file for item null/54TZAG7C

zotero(3): Creating 54TZAG7C.zip with 1 file(s)

zotero(3):
    88fb714bc9aae0efc427e1cafb9769ce

zotero(3): ===>2<===(number)

zotero(2): Attachment file '/Users/martin/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/to90ejn2.default/zotero/storage/7P2WTBWR/Miner_Vonesh_2004_Effects of fine grain environmental variability on morphological plasticity.pdf' not found

zotero(3): Saving http://diomedea:********@webdav.cloudme.com/diomedea/xios/Documents/CloudMe/zotero/7P2WTBWR.zip with saveURI()

zotero(3): Zip of 54TZAG7C.zip finished with status 0 (original 2441KB, compressed 2424KB, 1% reduction)

zotero(3): Average compression so far: 1%

zotero(5): SELECT ROWID FROM items WHERE libraryID IS NULL AND key=?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type string: "54TZAG7C"

zotero(3): HTTP GET http://diomedea:********@webdav.cloudme.com/diomedea/xios/Documents/CloudMe/zotero/54TZAG7C.prop

zotero(3): onStateChange

zotero(2): progressMax has changed from 0 to 184672 for request 'null/7P2WTBWR'

zotero(5): SELECT syncState FROM itemAttachments WHERE itemID=?

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 2029

zotero(3): Remote file not found for item 2029

zotero(3): HTTP PUT of 54TZAG7C.zip to http://diomedea:********@webdav.cloudme.com/diomedea/xios/Documents/CloudMe/zotero/54TZAG7C.zip

zotero(2): progressMax has changed from 2499735 to 2482782 for request 'null/54TZAG7C'

zotero(3): onStateChange

zotero(3): Finished download of /Users/martin/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/to90ejn2.default/zotero/tmp/7P2WTBWR.zip.tmp

zotero(3): ZIP file is OK
  • Turning off file sync makes syncing of item data across devices work (but obviously not the pdf's).

Deleting one problematic item (and attachment) did not help.
    This one: '/Users/martin/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/to90ejn2.default/zotero/storage/7P2WTBWR/Miner_Vonesh_2004_Effects of fine grain environmental variability on morphological plasticity.pdf'
  • Did you empty the trash?

If not, before you do, please make a copy of 7P2WTBWR.zip from your WebDAV server.
  • edited September 13, 2012
    7P2WTBWR.zip was an old file, already present on my webdav server, so I could download it even if I deleted the local copy (since zotero no longer sync files).

Unlike other zotero files I also downloaded, this one was not possible to extract using Archive Utility.

Error message:
    "Unable to expand "7P2WTBWR.zip" into "Downloads". (Error 21 - Is a directory)."

Other files downloaded from webdav extracts just fine.
  • Back on track again, deleting 7P2WTBWR.zip and 7P2WTBWR.prop from webdav solved the issue (from a user perspective).

Backup of the files exist if they are wanted for inspection.

I also realised that the problematic pdf has been used in my first (and only) attempt to annotate a pdf in Goodreader by sending it and then retrieving it from/to ZotPad. It didn't worked, and I forgot about it, but it must have corrupt the 7P2WTBWR.zip-file in the process. My bet at least.
  • Can you e-mail the file to support@zotero.org, with a link to this thread?

It does sound like this is plausibly related to ZotPad—maybe mronkko can chime in.