Bug: citation shows: 11?14 instead of 11-14

I am using zotero 3.0b2, plugin 3.5b1, libre office 3.4.3, windows 7 64bit sp1.

Zotoro displays multiple citations with a ? instead of - as shown below:
Here is some interesting work (1?3).
1. Carninci, P. et al. The transcriptional landscape of the mammalian genome. Science 309, 1559-1563 (2005).
2. Carninci, P. et al. Genome-wide analysis of mammalian promoter architecture and evolution. Nat Genet 38, 626-635 (2006).
3. Ravasi, T. et al. An Atlas of Combinatorial Transcriptional Regulation in Mouse and Man. Cell 140, 744-752 (2010).

Note: the same problem was described in the link below on a different system, but the fix failed to work for me (updated from zotero 2.1.10 without problem correction), any advice is appreciated
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/19658/

If there is a better location for bug reports please inform me. Thank you for all recommendations.

Oh, and incidentally, zotero 3.0b2 is otherwise much improved over 2.1.10, props to developers! (especially loved changes: zotero now finds and removes/merges duplicates, citation insertion is greatly streamlined)

update: partial solution found; (save as a safety) then switch "document preferences" to different style, "Nature Journal" was used in this instance

Problems remaining: no automatic superscripting
  • which citation style? Do you get the same problem with a different style?
    Which language is your Firefox in?
  • Nature Journal citation style was used. Firefox is english(US, in case firefox distinguishes from the British variety).

Your suggestion of altering citation style worked. Tested ~5 others only Nature Journal citation style produces the question mark in citations (strangely also appears to occasionally include a comma). National Library of Medicine citation style is one that works so I'll use that for a while.

However, no citation style I've tried outside of nature superscripts citation numbers (even Nature Journal style wasn't consistent with it). Your suggestion so far did correct the previous error (and thank you), but is there a style that superscripts consistently, or perhaps a plugin that has one?

Thank you again, even if you don't have another suggestion you've already corrected 2/3 of my problem.
  • there's "Vancouver with Superscript" from the repository e.g. (which is oterhwise almost identical to NLM) - but it won't be more consistent than Nature.
    We've never gotten any reports of citations not appearing in superscript when they should, so I can't really say much about that.
    If it occurs I'd recommend switching to a note-based style (like Chicago manual of style) and back - that usually fixes formatting oddities like that, because it makes sure Zotero reapplies any formatting (such as superscript) to the citation.
  • Ah, superscripting. This may just be due to a font encoding issue. I'll try to take a look later in the week. Give me a nudge if you done hear something by Friday.
  • (Frank - could this be related to the recent Angewandte Chemie issue, also with the ? issue as a delimiter?)
  • Oh, wait. So the problem with the question mark has cleared up for you?
  • @adamsmith: Not sure. I wasn't able to reproduce that one, and I don't have an idea about a potential cause.
  • edited October 31, 2011
    The 11?14 problem is mostly solved by switching citation styles, though switching styles requires some reworking of citations [for example switching style from Nature Journal to National Library of Medicine produced some correct (11-14), but others (11;14)]. However, that error only occurred with the switch, and hasn't been reproducible with adding citations, so isn't terribly annoying. Though yes, superscripting remains an issue.

Also, I don't know if it will help, but my windows 7 is 64 bit (I'll edit the top so new posters will won't have to read down to here for it).

Thanks guys. And I have to say I'm impressed by the community's responsiveness.
  • "[for example switching style from Nature Journal to National Library of Medicine produced some correct (11-14), but others (11;14)]"

I can't see how that happens. Are you sure those citations separated by a semicolon are actually consecutive numbers? To be clear, if you have citations [1],[2], and [3]
    Zotero would give you
    [1;2] for the first two
    [1-3] for all three, and
    [1;3] for the first and the last one

that pattern is the same for (almost) all numeric styles, the only difference being the delimiter (semicolon vs. comma) and the setting of the numbers (parentheses, vs. square brackets, superscript vs. normal).
    If that doesn't work it's a bug.
    Ahhhh, I see. You're right, that is the "error" I was noting. Hahaha :) my perception was bugged!
  • So when you use the Nature style, you always get this fault?
    I recently moved to a 64bit PC from a 32bit PC. Both exhibited the same problem: 11?14, for all (the correct form 11-14 never appeared) citations with 3+ consecutive citations. Commas did appear at the correct location for non consecutive 11,13.

Sometimes superscripts did not appear, though I haven't been able to discern a pattern for this yet, I'll post again if I do.

Oh and in case anyone was wondering the specs for my 32 bit are:
    Windows 7 32bit sp1, Zotero 2.1.10, plugin 3.5b1, open office 3.3.0, using Nature Journal citation style
  • I have the same issue, on a brand-new installation. I am running 64-bit arch linux, LibreOffice 3.4.4, and Zotero 2.1.10.

It happened on the first citation I tried to enter: 1-3 showed up as 1?3 for the Nature style. Switching to National Library of Medicine "fixed" it (but then my citations are in National Library of Medicine format). However, when I switch back to Nature's superscripted style, the question mark returns.
  • edited December 7, 2011
    OK - so this is clearly a rather wide-spread bug with superscripted citations in Libre-Office (there are other instances on the forum - all with LO). Any suggestions from Simon or Frank on how to troubleshoot this further?
  • I've tried a number of other styles, and it seems the "?" replaces the dash whenever a style uses superscripts.
  • Same issue here: Zotero 3.0.b2.1, LibreOffice 3.4.3, Debian Squeeze.

Proper formatting using National Library of Medicine (NLM) format, which is not in superscript. But when I edited nlm.csl to place the citation in superscript the dash became a "?".

Until the bug is fixed, a cosmetic fix is to "Find & Replace", searching for "?" formatted in superscript of the relevant "raise" (27% in my case), replacing with a dash.
  • norrislab: have you tried updating to Zotero 3.0b3.2?
  • Simon: Finally upgraded - 3.0.3. Happy to report the issue is fixed. Thanks!