Restoring backup

Hi
I have recently changed computer and now trying to restore my backup Zotero file. I have followed the instructions to go to advanced setting in preferences and 'show data directory'. I then Alt and up arrow to find the next level. I renamed this file and then copied it into the original location. When I open Zotero again, none of my references are appearing. Are you able to help please?
  • Can you be more specific about what you're trying, and the exact name and size of the folders and files you're working with?
  • I will try to be specific... In the 'show base directory' it takes me to a folder which is now called 'Zotero-oldy' This is my renamed folder. Underneath this folder are two SQLITE files - zotero.sqlite file which is 1,084KB and zotero.sqlite-journal file which is 89KB. If I click on the Zotero folder it shows 2 more folders: Zotero and Zotero-old and underneath these folders is a Zotero.sqlite file which is 1,132KB. If I click on the Zotero folder, there are 3 zotero.sqlite files with 272,788 KB. If I click on the Zotero-old, the zotero.sqlite file is 1,076KB.

I had previously had to backup my files and restore them as my old laptop had problems and this is why I think there are many folders and sqlite files.

All folders are files are located in my c drive.

If you can make any sense of the above, it would be amazing. Thank you
  • It sounds like you've gotten things into a bit of mess, but basically, the 1,000 KB files are empty databases. You should have a single "Zotero" folder in your home folder, and within it you should place the 272,788 KB database, which has your data, and the accompanying 'storage' folder. If then tell Zotero to use the default location, you'll see your data.
  • Thank you very much. I have now managed to recover all my files.