Big files synchronization issue with WebDAV

First of all, thank you for a great product! I moved from Mendeley to Zotero and do not regret that. You app is better and the migration from Mendeley was as smooth as it could be. Thanks again!

I have a problem with big files synchronization though. I'm using WevDAV storage (webdav.yandex.ru) and it seems to be rather slow when uploading files. Its speed is about a megabyte per minute. So it takes about a half an hour to upload a 27M file.

The speed is not a big deal, but unfortunately (probably because of timeouts or something) in case of big files Zotero fails to upload a prop file associated with the pdf. Zipped pdf itself gets uploaded correctly, but the prop file is missing. No errors displayed. And on the next synchronization it reuploads the file again (same way, without the prop file). Worse though, without the prop file, the pdf does not get downloaded on another device, even though the file is there on the WebDAV storage. So the file is constantly uploading, but is not able to be downloaded.

As a workaround I wrote a script that generates missing prop files and uploads them to the storage. After that I have to open Zotero SQLite DB and change the file's syncState from 0 to 1. That helps. But for those not so experienced in programming the issue could be seen as a showstopper, since it prevents files synchronization. When Zotero is constantly reuploading the same file, other files are constantly waiting in the queue and not getting uploaded.

I hope you will be able to fix the problem.

I'm using Zotero 6.0.10 under Windows 10 Pro.
  • edited August 20, 2022
    Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through this sync error, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?

Ultimately, though, you'd be better off using a WebDAV service that doesn't result in timeouts or take half an hour to upload a 27 MB file (or you should just use Zotero Storage).
  • Debug ID is D849671441.

I noticed in the log that "Stopping full-text content processor" happens before the file is uploaded. Could it be a problem?

Also, I have upgraded to version 6.0.12 and now it seems to report an error instead of silently repeating the upload (at least in the debug mode). In spite of the error the file is uploaded successfully.

Here is the history of changes of the file from my WebDAV server:
    20 August, 20:15:32
    Current version
    14,4 МБ
    20 August, 20:04:10
    14,4 МБ
    20 August, 19:48:11
    14,4 МБ
    20 August, 19:36:51
    14,4 МБ
    20 August, 19:30:59
    14,4 МБ
  • Sorry, it looks like the problem is really with my WebDAV server. I've just tried to upload files through different applications and everywhere I get the same behavior - the clients receives an error, but the file appears on the storage in several minutes.

Sorry for confusion. And thank you for the app!