Zotero 6 not working with google docs

I see the Zotero tab in the menu, but cannot add a citation etc.
My error report ID is 1865919923
  • What exactly happens?

Have you tried disabling any other browser extensions?

Can you provide a Report ID from the Zotero Connector (rather than Zotero) after reproducing this?
  • When i am in google docs and try to add a citation, clicking on the Zotero menu-item or the Z icon doesn't bring any menu.
    I disabled all other browser extensions.
    Zotero Connector Debug ID is D746355240.
  • I also got another Zotero error report: 880343026
  • Neither of those is a Report ID from the Zotero Connector. A Debug ID from the Zotero Connector could also help, but it needs to be for reloading the Google Docs page and trying to use the plugin.
  • Thanks for your quick responses so far. However, at this point I don't know how to produce the Debug ID you are looking for. Probably I put you on the wrong foor by referring to the Zotero Connector. But this connector is only relevant for adding to the zotero database from a website.
    My problem is that in google docs Zotero is in the menu, as is the Z-icon, but clicking them doesn't bring a menu to choose from.
  • edited August 19, 2022
    I linked to instructions. We can't help you without that information.
    But this connector is only relevant for adding to the zotero database from a website.
    The Zotero Connector provides Google Docs integration. That's why I'm asking for reports from that. (You should assume we know what we need to debug issues in our software.)
  • Zotero Report ID's: 1083963151 and D988194480
    Zotero connector Report ID's: 761898225 and D926033512

What I did:
    1. Started Zotero
    2. Opened a google docs file in Chrome
    3. Placed cursor where I wanted citation
    4. Clicked Zotero Menu item in Google docs > nothing happened
    5. Clicked the Z-icon on the Google docs menu > nothing happened
    6. Clicked ctrl+cmd+C > nothing happened
    7. in Zotero clicked help and report errors > 1083963151
    8. in Zotero clicked help and Debug Output logging > D988194480
    9. in Chrome right-clicked on Save to Zotero icon > Options > advanced > submit report: Report ID: 761898225, and Debug Output logging submit report: D926033512
    I hope this time I did the right things.
  • @theovanderkrogt You should start by disabling all other extensions except for Zotero Connector, restarting your browser and seeing if it works then.
  • Today I disabled all other Chrome extensions, shut down the browser and even restarted my Mac. Than started Zotero, started my Chrome browser, opened a google doc file and tried to insert a citation.
    Although Zotero is on the menu, as is the Z-icon, clicking them doesn't present any menu.
    The Chrome browser is Version 104.0.5112.101 (Official Build) (x86_64).
    Clicking the Zotero Connector icon under the Chrome Extensions icon resulted in the a kind of error saying that 'Zotero is not working with Google Docs'.
    Also after that I got another screen asking whether Zotero was running. I followed the link to Zotero Connector: “Is Zotero Running?” and checked the ping. Result 'Zotero Connector Server is Available'. As was suggested in the Zotero Connector: “Is Zotero Running?” document, I restarted my browser again, but nothing had changed. In the Zotero Connector: “Is Zotero Running?” document is doesn't say what to do when the Zotero Connector Server is Available.
    Zotero report ID 302707558 and debug output D1670116114
    Zotero connector report 1849559852 The Debug ID is D1585539115

• In the Zotero Connector: “Is Zotero Running?” document is doesn't say what to do when the Zotero Connector Server is Available.
    Yes it does: "If you're able to load that URL but the Zotero Connector shows Zotero as unavailable, try these steps until the problem is resolved"
  • As I said: I'm able to run the URL, but it says: Zotero is available! So the instructions what to do when 'unavailable' are not relevant in my opinion.
    Furthermore, most of the steps there I've tried, except 'try other browser' (I only use Chrome), and Create a new profile (because I don't know how to do this.
  • edited August 23, 2022
    No, you're misreading the page. That's describing your exact situation: you can access that URL (which says "Zotero Connector Server is Available", not "Zotero is Available!") but the Zotero Connector is still reporting that Zotero isn't available (with the error dialog "Is Zotero Running? The Zotero Connector was unable to communicate with the Zotero desktop application…").

This is a problem with your browser configuration, not with Zotero, and you'll need to follow the steps there, including trying a different browser and/or creating a new Chrome profile.
  • I was away for a week and that's the reason I didn't react to your answer before.
    Sorry I misread the information.
    Still I don't know how to fix the problem.
    For your information: there is (at least some) communication between the connector and Zotero, because it is no problem to bring a reference into Zotero with the use of the Zotero-icon in my webbrowser.
    Furthermore, if I open the 'manage extension' of the Zotero-connector, than under the tab 'General' it says under 'Zotero status': Zotero is currently available.
    I disabled the Zotero-connector, and enabled it again, and enabled logging. Than I tried to insert a citation in a GoogleDoc, without succes. I went to the Manage Extension of Zotero-connector, and than to the Extension options. There, under Advanced I viewed and submitted the logging output (D1620367367).
    I hope this brings us a bit further.
    Thanks in advance!
  • That doesn't show you reloading the Google Docs page and trying to use the plugin.

But if you're still getting the "Is Zotero Running?" dialog on Google Docs, it's still something about your browser profile and you need to follow the steps on the linked page.
  • Thanks again. And, as you probably expected, the Chrome profile was the problem. I add a new profile and only the Zotero-connector, and that worked fine.
    Thanks for your patience.
  • You can try to figure out what in the old profile is breaking it, but other than other extensions I wouldn't have anything to suggest.