SBL Format

I am new to Zotero and I need to use the SBL format. I know that many people use the SBL format on Zotero; however, I cannot find it on the additional styles list. Why is it not on the list of additional styles?
  • uhm - good question.
    I've pasted a copy here
    http://gist.github.com/239045
    go to the page
    Use the "Raw" Link on the top right to download
    then drag the downloaded file to an open FF window to install.

Which still begs the question - why isn't the file on the repository?
    It's in the checked out copy of the repository as
    sbl-fullnote-bibliography.csl
    Dan, help?
  • Not sure. It is now, at any rate.
  • I downloaded the file but it does nothing when I drag it into a FF window?
  • edited November 19, 2009
    Should work if it has a .csl extension, but just install it from the styles page.
  • Still having trouble. It is not a .csl file--it is a .git file. How do I get it as a .csl file?
  • Nevermind...SBL format is back in the repository. Thanks for the help.
  • (You needed to click the "Raw" link, as adamsmith said, not the .git download link.)
  • Where is the raw link to download? it just takes me to a separate page with the code
  • install the style from the repository.
    http://www.zotero.org/styles
    (for the raw link, you'd have to right-click --> save-as - but I'm not even sure that style is still up to date - so do use the one on the repository)
  • I use Zotero Standalone. I have tried to install SBL but when I go to Word to insert the SBL citation format it does not work.

The steps I currently used were that
    1) I went to the style repository, click “Theology,” and found “Society of Biblical Literature (end edition).”
    2) I then went to Settings>Preferences> STYLES and chose the Society of Biblical Literature, and clicked OK

But when I go back to MS Word and insert a citation, I am unable to get the citation in SBL format.

What am I doing WRONG
  • You have to select the style in the Zotero Word plugin's document preferences window (which appears when you first cite in a new document, or if you click the Doc Prefs button), not in the main Zotero preferences.
  • I have unsuccessfully tried adding the SBL format to Zotero for Word. I have successfully downloaded the The_Society_of_biblical_literature_filenote.csl file from the Zotero Style Repository by saving it. I have checked it's been downloaded by opening the download folder and the file is there. But when I try selecting SBL format from citation style list by selecting Zotero Add/Edit Citation from in a Word document, the SBL format is not there to select.
    Is there a step I'm missing?
    I am using Microsoft Office Word 2007
  • using Zotero Standalone, you'd want to open the downloaded file (just double-click) it should then prompt you to install.
  • I'm not using Zotero standalone, I am using the Web based Zotero.
  • If you're using Zotero for Firefox (is that what you mean by "web-based"? it's no more web-based than the Standalone version) just left-clicking on the style in zotero.org/styles should install it. Do you not get a prompt? It should _not_ be downloading to your Download folder.
  • Yes I'm using Zotero Firefox. When I left click on the style in zotero.org/styles a window opens asking me to open or save. I selected 'save as' which downloaded the file into the Download folder. When I go back into Word the SBL file is not there.
  • not sure why that's not working correctly for you, but you can just drag the downloaded file to any open Firefox window to install.
  • Do you mean like dragging it to the Firefox home page when I've opened it?
  • yes, that'll work. But can be any page. You can just drag it here, too.
  • YESSSS!!!! It worked the SBL format is now there. Thanks heaps for your help :)