Zotero Locator Issue

Hello,

I am using the standalone version of Zotero and recently had to reimport my library from a different laptop. I successfully imported all of my files/tags/metadata but couldn't open any of the underlying PDFs. Upon further investigation, it looks like the backup appended the date/time to each of the files which is the primary source of confusion. The locator is working properly, but something on my export/backup end went wrong which is causing a headache. I have approximately 5,300 items so I'm hoping I don't have to manually change everything. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Zotero Version: 6.0.8

Sincerely,

Ryan
  • So that sounds like you need to fix the filenames? I'd use a tool like the bulk rename utility (https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/), create a saved search/virtual folder of all PDFs in your storage folder, and remove the date from those filenames using regular expressions.

I don't think you can fix this using Zotero, since the problem are the filenames, not the links in Zotero.
  • Thanks so much for the confirmation and the recommendation for that bulk rename utility, it worked like a charm once I figured out the interface! Everything back to working again