how to disable autoformatting of notes

After a recent update, Zotero started to autoformat text in Notes. I want very much to disable the new feature. I don't see an option to do so, such as might be in preferences.

The reason I don't want autoformatting is that I used home-made shorthand in notes. While I have many symbols and letter combinations that have custom meanings, the main shorthand component that's currently causing trouble is underscores. For me, underscore in front of a word, usually when I'm typing a verbatim quotation, means "the". The second time I use my shorthand 'the' in a paragraph in notes, I lose the underscores and instead the text in between becomes italicized. This behavior is new. I realize this autoformatting is quite intentional and is useful for some people but it sure isn't for me.

And does anyone know why, when one opens a note in a separate window, which used to be done with a handy button at the bottom of the screen and now requires opening a menu, Zotero no longer automatically populates the note's "related" field with the parent document's name? That was a !wonderful! feature while it lasted.

Thank you for any recommendations for how I can better use this software on which I rely so heavily.
  • edited February 1, 2023
    @sgallup: It's not currently possible to disable auto-formatting (which is just parsing of Markdown syntax), but you can press Ctrl/Cmd-Z to undo it.

You're misremembering the Related thing. We never set that automatically, which wouldn't be appropriate. There used to be a Parent Item line you could click to focus the parent item, but you can now get back to the items list with "Show in Library" in the menu.

You can open a note in a standalone window by double-clicking on it in the items list, as has always been possible.