how do i recover deleted note?

I just deleted (hit the delete buttom) by accident an important standalone note with the outline for a research paper that I'm writing and it seems to have not gone to the trash! I look there and nothing is there. Also, there is no "undo" button.

Please help me find a way to recover it/prevent this from happening in the future!

Thanks!

ned
  • If you hit delete on a non-group item in a collection, you didn't delete the item and it's still in your library.
  • ok this is still a problem for me, if I delete something by accident it doesn't go to the trash and there is no "undo" button. say I delete a note and want to recover it, how do I do that? apparently according to you Dan it is still in my libary. but how do I find it?

thanks!

(i'm using version 2.0b7.6 on a Mac)
  • if you know what's in the note - search for it?
    You can also sort your library by date modified (click on the little table-like symbol on the top right of your middel panel in Zotero and check "Date modified")

Once again, though - you haven't actually deleted the note. You have removed it from a collection.
  • ok i see what your saying, it's still in my library but it isn't in my collection any more.... i was able to find the deleted note.
    i just wish that when I deleted a note
    a. there was an undo option which would be a lot faster
    b. it would go to the trash where it is more easily located.

because sometimes I'll hit delete by accident and not know what the note was that I deleted, thus making searching in my libary a lot more difficult cause there are so many notes in there.... if it went to the trash and I kept my trash clean (which I do) it would be a whole lot easier.

thanks

ned
  • the undo I think would be nice, but the trash is a bad idea. As I said - you didn't actually delete the note, so it shouldn't be in the trash either.
  • @nedh: I had to smile reading your last post above -- not at you, but at me; i have exactly the same feeling about the notes that clutter my desk at the office!
  • I have to vote for the Undo, it would avoid some confusion. It happened to me as well just recently that I accidentally hit Delete and the item disappeared from the collection. Instead of realizing it is still in my library, after I did not find it in the trash I ended up restoring Zotero from an hourly backup I have set up on my critical files ;-) I thought it was a beta-related bug... somebody totally new to Zotero could be completely lost with this...
  • That would be great to have this Undo feature! No just for the "delete from collection" but for any actions!