Problems with In text citation format

I am trying to use some of the American Physiological Society Journal formatting.
They are all the same. American Journal of Physiology (various subsets) and Journal of Applied Physiology. The formatting of the in text citation seems to use the format from whatever previous citation was run. For example, they should use (1,2,3) formatting (based on alphabetical order) but sometimes they are in superscript numbers, sometimes names, etc. I am new to Zotero (but trying to teach it to my students in a class). Is there something I am missing? or do these need editing.
  • how do you insert them in the text? Which word processor? Which plugin? Which Zotero?
    I't not a problem of the styles, no - they can be wrong (though I wrote them and I think they're not) - but even if they are wrong the in text citations would be consistent.
  • AdamSmith
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. So, I insert them I think in the usual way. That is, I am using WORD Add-in and I insert the specific reference, etc. That all seems to work. I am using Zotero 2.0.

It just checked all of the American Physiological Society Journals. They all refer back to
    <link rel="source" href="http://www.zotero.org/styles/american-physiological-society/dev"/> There are several things that don't work. First, the in text citation does not change its format from the previous Style. Second, the order list and the numbering in the bibliography should always be alphebetical. Hope this is fixable.
  • yes, they are all dependent styles - all journals follow the same template that's correct, right?
    They should all sort alphabetically, too.
    The style has been tested pretty extensively,
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8731/style-request-journal-of-applied-physiology/
    so something else is going on here, some problem with your Zotero at some point.

What happens if you start with an empty document - insert a couple of citations in APSJ style - do they look correct?
    Now, switch to a very differents style (e.g. APSA) - does that work, do you get author-date citations now?
    Switch back to APSJ - does this still look right?

If that is all working - have you tried this in more than one document?
    Ah, also, if you edit the citations using "show editor" they don't update correctly
    are you using "Fields" or "Bookmarks"?

If you can reproduce the error - can you create an error ID in your Zotero (The gears menu in the Zotero bar in FF)? Post the ID and the content of the error message here.
  • O.K. So, I started over with a new document and when I tried to insert a reference, it asked me for what style and I chose one of the AJP journals. I actually had forgotten this happened before. It gives me an error at this point "zotero experienced an error updating your document this.itemset is undefined."
    What I did last time was go to one of the generic journals and then I could change it to the AJP journals but it would just fix the formatting within the text of the bibliography.

I posted the error message. There are several like it. Regarding your other questions. After the error, if I go back and change to most any other Journal type, it works. Also, I was using fields. I am not sure what you mean by "show editor"

thanks again...hope there is a simple solution.
    t
  • try installing and using the base APS style:
    http://www.zotero.org/styles/american-physiological-society/dev?install=1
    for me that works. I'm also having problems with the dependent styles.
  • It worked!!!! Thanks!

T