"Linked attachment base directory" not finding the file across two computers

I'm having some trouble getting Zotero to play nice across two different computers.

I've set up a folder in my Dropbox to contain all my PDFs. I use Zotfile and links for attached files that point to the PDF in the Dropbox.

The problem seems to be that the path name to the library folder is different between the two computers.

Work: C:\Users\jha.ioa\Dropbox\PhD\Literature\Zotero library
Home: C:\Users\jhass\Dropbox\PhD\Literature\Zotero library

I've setup the Linked Attachment Base Directory on each computer to point to the "Zotero library" folder.

I've also pointed the ZotFile preferences for "source folder for attaching new files" and "location of files" to the Zotero library folder in my Dropbox.

And yet, whenever try to open a linked attachment on my home computer that was added on my work computer, Zotero tells me that the file cannot be found and it shows an expected path that corresponds to my work computer. I thought the Linked Attachment Base Directory was meant to get around this problem.

It seems to be working the other way around, though. Links added through my home computer open on my work computer. But linked attachments added through my work computer never open on my ho

What am I missing?

• @jhasselbalch: You have many files in your library set to the absolute path from your work computer. Generally that would happen if the linked attachment base directory wasn't set properly on that computer, though in that case you wouldn't be able to open files from your home computer on the work computer.

This certainly works in general, but we can't speak for ZotFile. If you disable ZotFile and use Link to File to add a file from within the configured linked attachment base directory, I think you'll find that it's stored with a relative path and you can access it on the other computer.
    I've also pointed the ZotFile preferences for "source folder for attaching new files" and "location of files" to the Zotero library folder in my Dropbox.
    That doesn't sound correct, for what it's worth. ZotFile moves files into a configured folder for you. The files shouldn't originate there.
  • @dstillman The problem is still occurring for any new file that is added on the work computer, even after I've set up the linked attachment base directory. Could the problem lie in the Zotero connector that I use in Chrome? Why would Zotero keep storing absolute paths for entries added on my work computer?
  • edited December 5, 2021
    As I say, this works in general, which you can test yourself. We can't help with ZotFile, so unless you can reproduce it with ZotFile disabled, you'll need to figure this out on your own.

If you think you can reproduce it, we'd need a Debug ID for adding a file via Link to File and syncing.