inconsistent DOI import from RIS file

Hi all!
I'm working on transferring all my references from Refworks to Zotero over .ris files, one folder at a time. Mostly, it works smoothly. The .ris files contain the doi codes in the field labelled "DO". Until now, the doi codes have been imported into the Zotero field "Extra" in the format "DOI 10.xxx_doi_code", and the doi seems to appear correctly , at least in APA style bibliographies (I've read a discussion thread that this is the way it works).
Now I suddenly detected that in some of the references I just imported, the doi code appears in a separate Zotero field labelled DOI. This seems wonderful but:
1. why is the doi code not consistently imported into the DOI field?
2. where can I manually create a DOI field in a record?
Thank you for advice!
Tore
Tampere university, Finland
  • The proper place for the DOI to be stored is the DOI field, like any other Zotero variable (author, title, etc). But only Journal Article and Conference Paper currently have a DOI field. For other types, additional citeable variables can be stored in Extra in the format ‘Variable: Value’. That is what you are seeing for other item types. Both will appear in citations in the same way (eg, for APA style, as https://doi.org/10.1234/567890). When new proper fields are available in Zotero 6, variables stored in Extra like this will be migrated automatically to their proper fields.
  • Hello!
    Thank you for your response, it sounds soothing. I'm looking forward to v. 6. Will the new version also manage [Alternate/Translated titles]?
    Best regards,
    Tore