Zotero Word add-in simply disappeared, reinstallation won't work

Hi there

I have this issue on my work PC (not my home laptop). I know this has occurred in other threads.

I've been right through the steps including
* preferences>cite>word processors where it tells me "The Microsoft Word add-in is currently not installed." When I click "Install Microsoft Word Add-in", I get "Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is closed, and then restart Zotero." No way around this, even after restarting everything
* have also followed the instructions to the letter to manually place zotero.dotm in the word startup folder - no luck

If I actually double-click on zotero.dotm a word doc opens up with the add-in fully functional. But with any other document it disappears :(

I'm usually OK at working through trouble-shooting threads and instructions, but this has me miffed. It just went with no warning. I'm guessing it may be to do with a workplace update or something but I just can't seem to get it working.

(So glad this didn't happen during my PhD!)

Help - thanks!
  • P.S. Forgot to mention, have also completely removed and reinstalled Zotero from the machine (even though the instructions said total removal wasn't necessary - just reinstall over the top)
  • P.P.S. Running Microsoft Office 365
  • Can confirm my startup folder as well: C:\Users\*MYNAME*\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

However ... I just did a restart and went back to this folder - and zotero.dotm wasn't there. So i assume the system at work is removing it for some reason? Will check with my IT administrator to see if he has any ideas ...

• But any you may have at this point, greatly appreciated bc I'm stumped for my next move ... thanks.
  • I just did a restart and went back to this folder - and zotero.dotm wasn't there.
    If you copy Zotero.dotm into there, does it appear, or do you get a warning about replacing a file?

If it's not just hidden, then yes, you'd have to ask your IT folks whether they're doing something to remove it.

(Don't double-click on the .dotm file to open it. That's not in any instructions and never something you should do. When it's present in the active startup folder, it will appear in Word unless blocked by system policies.)
  • Yes it does appear and there's no warning.

Just removed and reinstalled Zotero, and preferences>cite>word processors tells me now the ass-in is installed. Clicking reinstall the add-in 'works' in that there's now no error and it says the reinstallation was successful ... except it's not :(

Also, just checked and zotero.dotm is actually staying in that folder (it seems). Yet still not add-in when I open MS Word

• edited July 29, 2021
    Don't worry about what it says in the prefs. What matters is that Zotero.dotm is in your active Startup folder. If it is and the toolbar isn't appearing in Word, see this section. If you're still having trouble after that, you'll need to ask your IT department. This is just a standard, signed .dotm file, and it would work in a standard Word installation if present in the active Startup folder unless blocked by policy.
  • Perfect, that did it. It was unchecked for some reason. Thanks so much!