Snapshot vs Screenshot

Is a snapshot considered the same thing as a screenshot & if not what is the difference between them?

When I take a screenshot I seem to have all of the text but not all of the images, just the first part of the article. Is this the way it is supposed to work? I can view the image if I click on the blurred out image & enter the zoomed in state
  • A "screenshot" isn't something in Zotero — that'd be an image of part of your screen you create with your OS, or something your browser or another browser extension might create for you. I'm not sure how you're saying it relates to Zotero.

A Zotero snapshot is a persistent copy of a webpage as it looked when you saved it to Zotero, with text and images embedded.
  • TY for the reply

I realize that a screenshot is part of the OS. Was trying to figure out if they were similar since it seems to capture the screen. New to Zotero (in process of setting up & trying to figure out).

So a snapshot basically contains the website with the links still active then?

Regarding the embedded images. I presume that this only applies to a certain number of images as when I took a snapshot (a forum post) I could preview a certain number but later could not see the rest from the preview perspective. When I say preview I mean inline within the snapshot vs clicking the blurred out image. Once I click there is no issue viewing the image

Basically the snapshot is more reliable for the text perspective vs the image perspective?
  • edited July 28, 2021
    No, a snapshot should be identical to the viewed webpage, minus any on-page interactivity. Images that are loaded dynamically (e.g., when you scroll them into view) should be saved as well, though there's a chance that might not work on all sites. If you're seeing a site where you're not getting an exact copy of the page, we'd want an example URL.
  • https://forum.obsidian.md/t/zotero-zotfile-mdnotes-obsidian-dataview-workflow/15536?u=badjer

It is part of a forum so I am not sure if you will be able to access or not but here is the link just in case. If it does not work I can send a screenshot from my PC this evening to help view the issue

At the top part of the page it works the way you describe but when I scroll down a good portion I no longer see the images unless I click it to see in the zoom in state. It's not end of the world since I can view when I click to zoom in. I am trying to figure out what to expect since I'm struggling a bit to learn the app

Thanks for the help
  • Hello, here's a website where the snapshot didn't quite save it correctly: https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/how-i-put-my-mind-under-version-control-24caea37b8a5
    The images under points numbered 7, 8 and 9 didn't get saved correctly - they appeared as blurred boxes.