When rebuilding index not every item indexed, or only partially

When I clear and rebuild the index in the preferences many items are not indexed, or are only partially indexed, but when I click the arrows next to "Indexed" property of the items they are usually index with no issues.
  • edited March 2, 2021
    That's how it works — by default, documents are indexed up to the configured limits, but you can index them fully from an item's right-hand pane.

Why are you clearing and rebuilding the index? You should basically completely ignore that pane in normal usage (and it will likely be removed or buried in a future version).
  • Usually I wouldn't touch it, but I decided to take a closer look at the indexing behavior after some search results left out some items. I have a few items that are partially indexed, and others that are completely indexed, even though there are no substantial differences between them in terms of item type, number of pages, etc. It looks like the limits found in the preferences are only applied to automatically indexed items, on import, and that manually indexed and/or reindexed items are always fully indexed. Is that correct? I've reindexed a few items because of aforementioned incomplete search results, and I didn't understand why their index status was "Yes" while other items were "partial".
  • edited March 2, 2021
    It looks like the limits found in the preferences are only applied to automatically indexed items, on import, and that manually indexed and/or reindexed items are always fully indexed. Is that correct?
    Manually indexing, in the item's right-hand pane, will ignore the limits. Initial indexing and indexing via the prefs will follow the limits.

The point is just that it doesn't index all of huge files by default, but if there's an individual file that you notice isn't being fully searched and want fully searched, you can click on it and index it fully.
  • It makes sense once you know what's going on. Thanks for the clarification.