Broken proxy link Report ID: 1413033426

I am unable to reconnect Zotero to my school library (proxy). The Zotero link is not working and I cannot find my proxy name to manually enter it on the app extension page. Help! Any ideas on what to do? All prewritten instructions have failed me. Thanks.
  • Not sure what you mean here — Zotero doesn't "connect" to your library.

Can you explain exactly what the problem is that you're experiencing?
  • Hi. Thanks for your question. I will try as best I can to explain. I was trying to capture an article and save it in Zotero using the app extension I downloaded. It was not connecting so I went to the related help page and followed the instructions. The last attempt suggested was to delete and reload the extension, however, when I did that, it lost the address for my school library in the Proxy Settings (configured proxies). I don't know where to find it or get it back.
  • But what does "not connecting" mean? To help, we really need you to say exactly what you were experiencing, not use generic phrases like "not working" or "not connecting". Even now, you're not explaining what the actual problem is that you're experiencing — the fact that you don't have a proxy entry isn't relevant unless you're actually experiencing a problem.

In any case, Zotero should detect your proxy the next time you log into a proxied site via your proxy. You may need to sign out of your library/university site, restart your browser, and log in again.

But there's still no "connecting" that goes on here, so I really don't know what you're actually trying to report here.
  • I restarted my computer and logged back into my school library. I opened the link to an article. I clicked on the "save to Zotero" app extension icon saved on my browser screen. The following error message popped up:

"Is Zotero Running?

The Zotero Connector was unable to communicate with the Zotero desktop application. The Connector can save some pages directly to your zotero.org account, but for best results you should make sure Zotero is open before attempting to save.

You can download Zotero or troubleshoot the connection if necessary."

I then clicked on the "troubleshoot the connection" link, which took me to this page https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connector_zotero_unavailable. I followed the instructions (that I understood) and still am unable to save the opened article to my Zotero library. As recommended, I have checked for interference due to anything on my computer.

I hope that is clear this time.
  • edited January 17, 2021
    OK, thanks. That doesn't have anything to do with the proxy settings in the Zotero Connector preferences — that page is talking about a completely different kind of proxy.

This is a problem on your computer, not in Zotero, and we can't provide more information than is on that page. If there's something you don't understand, you should tell us what it is, but that page says everything there is to say about how to fix it.
  • I see, thanks. I'm not sure what else I need to look for on my computer to indicate what may be blocking the connection. And I find it strange that the Zotero app extension had previously captured my school's URL but now it is not there.

Not sure how to resolve this and I am beginning my literature review for my dissertation. This is quite disheartening. If there are no other suggestions...

Thanks for your time. Maybe someone at my school can help on Monday.
  • edited January 17, 2021
    I don't know what you mean by "had previously captured my school's URL", but it's not in any way related to the "Is Zotero Running?" dialog. If there's a separate problem, you can ask about that once this is resolved.

Again, the linked page tells you exactly what you need to do to debug this. If you don't understand something, you need to explain exactly what you've tried, what happened at each step, and what you don't understand. There's no other way for us to help you.