Zotero Menu Dissapeared from MS Word

Please help! I no longer see the Zotero Menu in MS Word. I have an old version of Word, but it's been working fine for months and now the menu is gone. I open Zotero, I reinstall the MS Word add-in from preferences>cite>word processors and it tells me the installation is successful and the add-in is enabled, I try deleting other OFFICE folders from the program directory, restarting the computer-- nothing helps.
Windows 8.1 did download a couple of updates in the past couple of days. I wonder if that's conflicting. -Jan. 15th, 2021
  • Follow the steps on https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear

If you're still having trouble, say everything you tried, in your own words, and what happened at each step.
  • I run Word 2003 on Windows 8.1. Until a few days ago, the Zotero toolbar would appear in the toolbar in Word and the add-in worked fine. A few days ago, it disappeared. Word looks like it did before I began using Zotero. The citations I previously put in documents are still there, but I cannot edit them with Zotero.

I closed Word. I opened Zotero, went to the "edit" menu, selected "preferences," hit the "cite" pane, hit the "word processors tab," hit the "reinstall Microsoft Word add-in" button. I briefly saw a dialogue box with a progress bar that quickly filled and then had a dialogue box saying installation was successful. I hit okay. I hit okay in the Zotero preferences window. I reopened Microsoft Word. No Zotero Tool box.

I have repeated this process with no improvement. I have restarted the computer and repeated. No effect.

I have tried opening Zotero, going tot he "Tools" menu, selecting "add-ons," and I see a dialogue box titlted "add on manager" and it lists as extensions "Zotero libre office integration" and "Zotero Word for Windows Integration." Both give the option to "disable." I've tried disabling Zotero Word for Windows Integration (it tells me it will take effect when the program restarts), hitting "restart Zotero now, re-enabling Zotero Word for Windows Integration (it tells me it will take effect when the program restarts), restarting Zotero, and finally reopening Word. No effect.

I re-downloaded Zotero and ran the intallation on normal options and everything went smoothly. I reopened Word, and saw this had no effect. I went through the steps of re-installing the Microsoft Word add-in. No effect. I tried restarting the computer, opening Zotero, opening Word. No effect.

I'm going to try a system restore to see if the Windows 8.1 update had some effect.
  • FWIW, Word 2003 (if that's actually what you mean) isn't officially supported: https://www.zotero.org/support/system_requirements
  • I understand, but it did work as of a few days ago.
    System restore had no effect, either.
    Oh well.
  • Note that there are more steps you haven't followed, including manual installation, but we can't provide support for Word 2003, sorry.