[Solved] An Event and/or exhibition?

edited April 10, 2021
Hello,

Just a quick question: What is the bast way to enter a new item that last several days or even months? Like an event (festival, etc) and an exhibition of musea?

Thanks
  • An ‘event’ type is in CSL 1.0.2, which should be incorporated into Zotero sometime this year.

For now, I would suggest citing the event catalog as a book if available or entering the event as a Presentation otherwise.

For date ranges, enter the date in Extra like this:
    Issued: 2019-04-05/2019-04-08

Or
    Event date: 2019-04-05/2019-04-08

Use ‘issued’ for citations directly to the event itself or ‘event date’ for citations to a catalog.
  • Thanks.

Any ETA on Zotero for CSL1.0.2? And Zotero for CSL 1.1 too?
  • CSL 1.0.2 will be published soon and Zotero will likely get compatibility quickly, though that won't immediately translate into item types or fields, just the availability of them.

CSL 1.1 is aspiring to be later this year, but I'd be more cautious with predictions there.
  • Hello. Any updates on when a field for adding an exhibition will be included? For design PhDs this really is essential. UCL have specific guidance on how this can be referenced / cited:

https://library-guides.ucl.ac.uk/harvard/exhibition

There really isn't a workaround for this and if Zotero can include 'instant message' and 'email' as categories, surely 'exhibition' is valid.
  • Hi,

Please let me know if there is an upcoming addition for exhibition.
    I'm completing my PhD in Art History, and so fields such as "curator", "exhibition title" are crucial to my referencing.
  • CSL 1.0.2 has an Event type.

You can tell Zotero to treat an item as an event by entering this in Extra
    Type: event

You can add a curator the same way:
    Curator: Family || Given A.
  • It is almost 2 years later and still no event or exhibition entry. While this thread is marked as solved, I am not sure anyone else doing a PhD or Post doc in the arts would believe the issue is solved. I know it is possible to try to "macgyver" something up, but then there is no assurance it will properly conform to standardized citing formats, which is fine for undergrads, but the further up the chain you go the less acceptable that is. I hand wrote all of my exhibition citations recently, and as someone who is mildly dyslexic, this is a real pain, especially when I generally love zotero.
  • edited December 6, 2022
    See my post above. CSL supports an ‘event’ type.
  • sorry, what does CSL stand for or what is it?
  • Citation Style Language, the system used to translate your data in Zotero into style-correct citations.
    But don't get hung up on the technicalities.

In this case, CSL already has "event" implemented, while the front end of Zotero doesn't. Therefore the "hack" of puttig "type: event" in your extra field.
  • Hi,
    So I am sorry to bother you again, but I am still trying to figure out if I can "hack" the system. when I tried entering event in the extra feild, I got the following:

Harvard style for my Uni: Anon (2022) this happened. city: location.
    Chicago style: This Happened. 2022. city: location.

I admit I used place and publisher because I wasn't sure what other fields to use. If you attend a concert, it will be in both a venue and a city, or two places (though it looks like no city in the performing arts). It also took my full date and changed it to a year. The fact that plays, music and dance all format different make this challenging, but I am certain the harvard style won't be correct here because not all events have an "author" or equivalent. Personally I will be referencing protests.

What I also need is an exhibition citation in harvard style. Is there any way to fill our various fields to have the results look like this:

Craftivism. (2009). [Exhibition]. Arnolfini Gallery, Bristol. 11 December - 13 February 2009
  • I designed a hack that works for harvard style (okay, almost). sorry for all of you north americans in Chicago, not sure if this will work for you. You can test it out.

use book format
    title field for exhibition title
    author for curators
    in series type: [exhibition]
    in place put: the gallery and comma the city ex: MOMA, New York
    in publisher put the dates of the exhibition format is: day Month -day month year or either 30 Jan-9 Apr 2023 or 30 Dec 2022-9 Apr 2023
    in the date put the year

and you get:
    curator, (year) exhibition title. [exhibition]. Gallery, City: 01 Jan -02 Jan 2022.