Date formats are defaulting to US style (mm-dd-yyyy) even though system settings are European

edited December 9, 2020
This is happening specifically with the "Accessed" field.

When I type in the date of an article, it keeps to the European format (dd-mm-yyyy), but when I type in the date I accessed it, for example "2020-12-08" (i.e. 8th December), it defaults to "12/08/2020", which for my purposes is misleading, incorrect, and could get me in trouble.

My system settings are definitely set up to the European-style format, so I'm wondering is there another settings panel I can manually change/override this from?

Many thanks!
  • What matters is your language/region, not any system-specific date overrides (which Zotero isn't able to use). If you want European-style dates and English, make sure your system is set to "English (UK)". You can verify the locale Zotero is using in the Advanced pane of the preferences.
  • I thought changing the language/region to "English UK" would change my keyboard parameters. I'm based in Switzerland, so I have a hybrid German/French keyboard with French accents and German umlauts, all of which I need...so I was wary of switching to English UK.

I just tried it anyway and did a quick test run, and it seems to work. I still have access to French and German, and my date format is "correct" (dd-mm-yyyy), so many thanks!