Cannot sync - Had to export Library, now no PDFs

Hello

I wasn't able to sync my acct on my new (Windows) laptop. I had to export it from my old on and download it on the new one. But when I did that, I lost all the PDFs. Each time I double click on an article, it sends me to the abstract page of the publishing journal.

How can I either a) sync the two windows laptops properly (I even uninstalled and tried again), or b) regain access to my PDFs from exported library?

Thanks!
Nadine
  • A proper export will certainly include PDFs, but you shouldn't be using export for anything like this.

Do you still have your Zotero data on the original computer? All you need to do is either sync or copy the Zotero data directory:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library
  • Thanks so much for your response, I appreciate it.

Yes, I do still have my Zotero data on the original computer. I have unsuccessfully tried to sync the data no less than 10 times. The account email is the same for both (naleduc@mun.ca), so I don't know what the hiccup is.

Once I realized (many times) that I was unable to sync, I tried the export. That worked in that it shows me the titles of the articles, but as i mentioned before, clicking on them only takes me to the abstract page and not the PDF.

I'm lost. I'm writing my thesis and I need those articles.

I doubt you folks do rescue calls, lol. But in case you do, my number is 613-581-2911. I live in Newfoundland, Canada (odd time zone).

Either way, thanks for your help!
    Nadine
  • I have unsuccessfully tried to sync the data no less than 10 times.
    You'd have to say more what you mean by this. See Changes Not Syncing.

Alternatively, you can transfer the Zotero data directory across computers, which is not the same as exporting. But syncing will definitely work.

(Note that when you do actually sync, or if you've synced the new computer, you're going to end up with duplicates from the export/import, but it'll be easy to delete those later by sorting by Date Added.)