Zotero style "German Yearbook of International law" - how to correct use of ibid?

Hi,

I am using Zotero citation style "German Yearbook of International law" and have the issue that it uses "ibid" in when referring to the same source, but not the same page or legal paragraph... as is otherwise the proper use of "ibid."

To avoid a larger editing task of correcting all these "ibids" that refer to different pages/ paragraphs, can anyone help me with correcting this "within" my citations style preference so it uses "ibid" correctly?

My computer is a Lenovo and I am working in a Word document with Microsoft Office 365 I belive...

Hope someone can help.

Kind regards.
  • Do you mean it's just printing "ibid" or it's printing "ibid" with the paragraph/page number (so "ibid. at 15" etc.)

The latter would typically be correct and that's how how the style is code. If the former happens -- how are you adding paragraphs or pages?
  • It's the latter, where it prints ibid and then the page or paragraph I am referring to. For example:

1) Human Rights Council, Report of the Detailed Findings of the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar, UN Doc. A/HRC/39/CRP.2 (2018) para. 1481.
    2) Ibid. paras. 1516.
    3) Ibid. para. 1418.

OR, this following example

4) Jennifer Trahan, Existing Legal Limits to Security Council Veto Power in the Face of Atrocity Crimes (2020), at 3.
    5) Ibid., at 34.

In both examples, I am not referring to the same paragraph or page, so ibid should not be printed out each time. I generally follow the rule that if the following source refers to the same source (e.g., book, journal) and page number (and paragraph, I assume) in the immediately preceding reference, then you use ibid.

I chose this citation style as it also prints a bibliography, but if you would recommend another citation style or know how I can avoid a heavy editing job at the end - that would be much appreciated.
  • What you're showing is standard ibid. behavior -- e.g. Bluebook, OSCOLA, Chicago Manual, AGLC, all use ibid (or id. in the case of BB) with pinpoints.

CSL/Zotero can technically do what you want, but it's so unusual that I don't think there's a single existing citation style that does and it's a bunch of work to customize that. What is this for? Are you sure that's the actual requirement?
  • Ok - I had the same issue with Bluebook, where it instead consistently referred to "id." - despite page/ paragraph number as German Yearbook is doing with "ibid."...

I have not found a style that can distinguish between "ibid." and "id"...

I am currently writing my thesis - so the editing process would be fairly lengthy to meet the footnote criteria for this specific assignment.
  • Again, though, what is this for? My point above isn't to describe what the CSL styles are doing, but what the various style manual's are prescribing (and thus CSL implements).
    Why would you want to use a convention that isn't in use in any major style manual and if these aren't your rules, whose are they and are you actually certain you need to follow them?