All highlights and annotations disappeared from all my pdfs in Zotero

Hi there,

Maybe someone has had the same issue? The other day, I ran out of space in Zotero and so I paid for a storage upgrade. After that, all of my highlights that I have done on my iPad Pro have disappeared. I use PaperShip on my iPad, and have not had any problems until now. I have synced and re-synced multiple times, but the highlights have just disappeared. Is there anything I can do about this?? I would hate to throw weeks of work down the drain! Thank you!
  • Zotero doesn't have anything to do with highlights and annotations created externally — those changes would just be saved back to the file — and we can't help with PaperShip, so I'm afraid there's not much we can do here. Zotero just syncs files. When those files are modified on one side or the other, it uploads or downloads them. If files are modified on both sides, it shows a conflict resolution window and lets you pick a side.

The only thing I can think of is that you had made changes to files on both sides, those changes hadn't uploaded because you were over quota, when you upgraded those files were uploaded from a device without the annotations, and PaperShip downloaded the unannotated versions without prompting for conflict resolution like Zotero does. But that still shouldn't affect any files that were in sync before you hit your storage quota, so I don't really see how would cause this.

Do you have a backup of your Zotero data directory from before this happened?