Red bar does not appear to add/edit citation to enter a cite.

I have tried and tried, and I cannot contact anyone via email nor phone. I had experts try and try but get nowhere. The read forums are not clear and precise for me. It says press something, and the something is not there. If they say upper right it still not there. I am paying for something that does not work. It was installed and re-installed about 6-7 times including done by an IT expert, and he even followed one of the forums on this--still doesn't work.

Forums do not use very simple English.

I think it's a copout that the Zotero people refuse to accept and email, telephone call, and/or chat.

This is very frustrating, since I just paid for renewal. This has been going on for over a month, now and nothing is done.

I tried to use it even when I am logged in--nothing, absolutely beyond any shadow of doubt, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Thanks for listening.

Warren Perrotto
wperr7777@gmail.com
  • I have tried and tried, and I cannot contact anyone via email nor phone.
    These forums are where official Zotero support happens. This is your first post here, so this is the first time you've asked for support. We can't help you unless you ask for help.

You need to provide the information we ask for and explain what the actual problem is for us to be able to help you:

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • When I hit a footnote and then go to Zotero , the add/edit citation doesn't work.There is usually a red parallel bar that appears, where all you have to do os add the first word from the bibliography and the footnote enters. The same with an endnote. It just doesn't work after following the directions over and over and over.
  • P.S. I followed a video which shows the red bar. I don't know what you call it.
  • What do you mean by “ When I hit a footnote” ?

The way to insert a citation in a Word document is to click the Add/Edit Citation button in the Zotero tab in Word. It will add a footnote automatically if you are using a note style. Don’t insert footnotes manually.
  • This is getting to be ridiculous. When I click ADD FOOTNOTE THE NUMBER APPEARS BELOW, AND I REPEAT IT NEVER WORKS. I had professionals look at it from Microsoft, and Virus co. that I use, and they tried for quite some time, and it still doesn't work.

I hope this FULLY explains clearly now. I am looking for help and paying for the services., but I keep getting "What do you mean questions?" to answer my questions.
  • I click the Z and it says add cite, but it does not work.

• Please read Etiquette before posting further. We understand you're frustrated, but the tone of your posts here is not appropriate. You're paying for Zotero online storage space. You're not paying to be rude to the people trying to help you. If you continue like this, you'll be banned from further posting.

We literally can't help you if we don't understand what you're trying to do, and so far you haven't explained in a clear way. "Add Footnote" isn't a Zotero feature. There's no "Z" to click in Word, if you're referring to Word. (There's a Z button in Google Docs, but you haven't said anything about Google Docs.) "Add Cite" is not something Zotero says.

You can take screenshots that show what you're describing, upload them somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here. Otherwise you'll need to follow the instructions we provided, which explain the information we need. You haven't provided it, so there's simply no way for us to help you.
  • It sounds you are manually adding a footnote using Word’s footnote feature.

Like I said above, that isn’t how you insert a Zotero citation. You need to click the Add/Edit Citation button in the _Zotero_ tab in Word.

Adding a regular Word footnote has literally nothing to do with Zotero.
  • I have explained. When I press the Z and Add Citation button (noted above) from last missive. I am explaining clearly as I can. This function add/e
    dit citation is not working. Secondly, in your email you mentioned about Google Doc; I don't know about this in relation to Zero. I never had the need to do it before. Furthermore, I am in Fiji teaching. If my Zotero doesn't work, I cannot teach the students. I take screen shots, but they are not to be found, even when I follow the directions to find them. Lastly, I am not computer brilliant. I have to learn each day. In your email you said about etiquette, I have been trying, but each time I explain I get a negative response. I am not try to be sarcastic. I have been doing all the time exactly what you said in your missive. And that is what I am trying to say. It is not functioning. Just as a reminder I mentioned that it was reinstalled about 7 times, and still doesn't work. Even tech. experts tried to follow one of your forums and it still doesn't work. In the attached video you will see how the red bar appears.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xn8GKBHvA8 (I use Google Chrome.) Please look at this video, and please be patient with me.
  • When I press the Z and Add Citation button
    These don't exist in Word, so there's simply no way this is what you're doing, and it doesn't help to keep repeating it. There's an "Add/Edit Citation" button. If that's what you mean, that's what you need to say. And, regardless, you need to say the exact steps you're following, what you expect to happen, and what's actually happening, exactly as explained in Steps to Reproduce. You also need to provide the Report ID requested on that page, which I've linked to twice already.

If you can't describe what you're doing, you can provide a link to screenshots, or email screenshots to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • 1) I type something
    2) I add footnote
    3) I click the Red Z
    4) I then click add/edit citation
    5) nothing happens
    6) Usually at this time something appears that I can place the first word of the bibliography , but nothing happens.
  • I am not sure what red Z you are referring to. Can you please take a screenshot and post to Dropbox or similar and link here?
  • I cannot put the screen shot here. How can I do it?
  • The red Z appears on the bar in word when downloaded.
  • when I copy it it doesn't fit into this box.
  • I have taken about 5 screenshots, but they will not appear in this box.
  • Once again, you can upload them to Dropbox or similar and provide a link here or you can email them to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • No matter how many times I take a screen shot, it will not come into this box. I saved it about 7 times now and it never works. I tried it with other things, and it works.
  • edited October 1, 2020
    We can only explain this so many times. You can't add screenshots to this box. Stop trying and read what we're saying.
  • Wait a minute. You never said where do I place the screen shot. You talk about etiquette.. I work withy tech. supporters and they always polite and patient with me. I have been reading, reading, and reading what you write here. Please tell me where I should place the screen shot???? I cannot email you nor call you.

• We've told you four times how to provide screenshots:
    You can take screenshots that show what you're describing, upload them somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here.
    If you can't describe what you're doing, you can provide a link to screenshots, or email screenshots to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
    Can you please take a screenshot and post to Dropbox or similar and link here?
    Once again, you can upload them to Dropbox or similar and provide a link here or you can email them to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.
  • copy sent by Google Drive to "support@zotero.org." Please let me know if you received it.
  • No, we didn't. You don't need to send something via Google Drive. Just create a share link for whatever you're trying to share and send us a regular email with the link in it.
  • How do I create a shared link?
  • edited October 4, 2020
    That depends entirely on the service you're using and isn't something we can help with. If you're having trouble creating a public link, just email us the pictures like I've said repeatedly — we just can't keep going on like this.