Report ID: 1688658264

edited August 27, 2020
Hello,

I was trying to import my Citavi library to Zotero. I followed every step as described here: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/import-from-citavi, and after clicking "Okay" I received the error message.

Do you have any idea what's happened? I'd be grateful for your support.

Best,
Marco
  • What's the error message?

Can you restart Zotero and provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for an import attempt that fails, without doing anything else first?

What is the file extension of the file you're importing?
  • edited August 28, 2020
    Thanks for your reply.

Here is my Debug ID: D604053238.

The file extension is ".ctv6"
  • I'm not sure if you're doing something wrong or things changed in Citavi 6 and those instructions weren't properly updated, but judging by https://www1.citavi.com/sub/manual6/en/index.html?101_backing_up_your_projects.html a .ctv6 file is an SQLite database, note the XML file it needs to be to be imported into Zotero. Zotero can't import a Citavi SQLite file.
  • edited August 28, 2020
    I tried once again, this time using the backup file, instead of the project copy, since the backup file should be a XML file, according to the Citavi link you referenced in the above message. The process lasts longer this time, meaning that something different was happening. But the result was another error message with this ID: 1918223837.

• Are you sure you followed the instructions originally? Note that the instructions themselves say to use a backup made via "Create backup…".

Can you provide a Debug ID for an import attempt that fails?

If you're able to share the file, you can email it (or a link to it, if it's too big) to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and we can take a look directly.
  • Thank you, I have solved the problem! Best, MC
  • Yes great, but HOW?
    I´m having the same problems...
  • @ChristianManunzio: You'd have to say what exact problem you're having. I believe the initial problem above was from following the steps incorrectly.
  • @dstillman: sorry you're right.
    I'm trying to import from the latest Citavi6 version as described in the link (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/import-from-citavi), but getting the 'Mendeley' error, no matter what kind of backup /copy I try to import from Citavi
  • Can you say the exact steps you're following in Citavi?
  • @dstillman
    I tried the following (its not a cloud project):

File->This Project->Project Copy = xyz.ctv6
    On Import is says:

"[JavaScript Error: "Error: Not a valid Mendeley database" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/import/mendeley/mendeleyImport.js" line: 84}]"
    ---

File->This Project->Project Archive = xyz.ctv6archive
    On Import Zotero crashes completely without any msg
    ---
    If I Unzip the xyz.ctv6archive and Import the *.ctv6 I get this error:

"[JavaScript Error: "XML Parsing Error: syntax error
    Location: moz-nullprincipal:{a94ef01a-82db-4a1c-83e5-b7344856b8ad}
    Line Number 1, Column 1:" {file: "moz-nullprincipal:{a94ef01a-82db-4a1c-83e5-b7344856b8ad}" line: 1 column: 1 source: "Archive "}]"
  • I mean, neither of those is what the linked page says to do. If you don't see a "Create backup…" option in the menus, you should tell us that, but people have confirmed that this works for Citavi 6.
  • @dstillman: yeah sorry with the Backup Option ( *.ctv6bak ) I´m getting the error "The format of the chosen File is not supported"
  • .ctv6bak is a ZIP file. You need to follow the linked instructions to import it into Zotero.
  • Damn, you´re right! I messed up the different "backup, copy, archive" options from Citavi (I´m using German) and screwed it. Now it worked out fine via:

-> Copy Project -> Unzip -> Import

Thank you a lot! :)