Error with CSL Communicating with Zotero Application - 934094921

Hi

We've been having a unique problem that I'd love to get some feedback on below.

We have an employee who recently installed the Zotero app and the chrome extension. Both appear to work, and the application opens. When they first tried to download the CSL our company uses, it opened the file in Word, which is something I've never seen it do before. The CSL doesn't show up as a citation option in the Zotero preferences page and isn't being recognized. However, I did the same installation and training with a different employee the day before, and everything worked perfectly.

Now when he attempts to re-download the CSL, it tells him to re-install Zotero, but this never works. He can have the Zotero app open, and the csl download isn't recognizing it.

His file type is a .csl, but when he goes to his app center in settings and tries to assign Zotero as the default by file type, Zotero doesn't even show up as an option.

I'm beginning to think it is his computer (as I said, we did this with someone else the day before I met with him and everything worked fine for them). Has anyone else had issues with created CSLs not communicating or recognizing Zotero, or vice versa? We've been using Zotero since 2012 and have never had this issue before. We just tried installing the 4.0 version but it immediately told him to upgrade and still doesn't recognize the CSL.

Any help is appreciated. We've been doing troubleshooting and looking at older forum posts but nothing we've found so far has worked.

Thank you,
Mack
  • Most of this would clearly appear to be an issue with that computer, yes, but
    have you tried just adding the .csl file from the styles tab of the Zotero preferences by clicking the + sign and browsing to the downloaded style?
  • edited July 9, 2020
    Now when he attempts to re-download the CSL, it tells him to re-install Zotero, but this never works.
    What's the exact message?

All you have to do to install a custom CSL is click the + button in the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences and select the .csl file on disk. That's it. It sounds like you're going to a lot of extra unnecessary or incorrect steps. "not communicating or recognizing Zotero" certainly doesn't sound like anything remotely related to installing a CSL file.
  • edited July 9, 2020
    Maybe you're referring to a .csl install via the Zotero Connector? That would be a general problem with their connection between the Zotero Connector and Zotero, affecting saving and everything else, and not really specific to style installation. See https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connector_zotero_unavailable for details.

But they can still always install a style from the preferences.
  • Thank you, the manual add seems to work. For some reason, none of our trainers had ever experienced this particular issue before and we were all stumped! Gotta love when you sink a few hours into tearing it apart only for the solution to be a simple button click.

Thanks again!
  • See my follow-up, though — depending on what exactly you meant, they may have a general problem with their Zotero Connector, and if they're using Zotero they'd want to solve that.