Zotero will not open. Showing error "Zotero is already running, but is not responding."

I am running Windows 10.

After uninstalling a different program - possible related - I notices Zotero would not open. It would try but give me a popup with the following message:

"Zotero is already running, but is not responding. The old Zotero process must be closed to open a new window."

However, even with process diagnostic tools, I cannot find any processes running.

When investigating, thinking there might be a profile issue,when looked it appeared the profile was missing altogether. Using "%appdata%\Zotero\Zotero\Profiles" there was nothing there.

Because of this hidden background process, I cannot (a) run zotero desktop, (b) uninstall to reinstall, (c) install over the top of existing. Even using formal install/uninstall SW tools.

Also, when I tried to login on at Zotero.org with my profiles credentials, it would not let me .

Finally - and oddly, I "have" been able to continue to save references from FF using the extension. First time it asked me to verify I wanted to send directly to my datastore at z.org, and after than showed a popup that appeared to verify it was saving it up into the cloud. And this seemed to work for several references from there.

So, this leaves me totally confused and without use of zoter desktop or access to my citation lib at z.org.

Some Qs please:

1. Can a profile be recreated from the account on zotero.org - should I be able to gain access?
2. Does anyone know how to find and stop a hidden zotero background process? Which BTW, does not stop even on reboot.

Really appreciate any insight anyone may be able to give me.

Best, Greg

• (Forget about saving to the server library for now; that whole issue is completely separate).

So just to confirm -- you get the same message after restarting Windows and opening Zotero first thing? That's very odd. And you've tried re-installing (no need to uninstall) Zotero right at this point?
  • edited May 8, 2020
    Yes that 's correct. I get that error message every time I try to:
    (1) open the app; and
    (2) every time I try to re-install
    (3) or unistall

Sorry about the name change, I have been trying to find my library on z.org and get that straight and have two accounts. This is the one I have been using and is associated with this issue on my PC.

Luckily it is still intact - so all good there.

Am going to try uninstall/re-install the FF extension next to see if that is where the problem may lie.
  • This has nothing to do with the Firefox extension — don't waste your time with that.

If this still happens after restarting your computer, open your Zotero profile directory and delete the .parentlock file. Most likely either Zotero or your computer crashed, leaving that file behind.
  • (This could also happen if there's a problem with the file permissions on the profile directory, preventing your account from writing to files there, but that's unlikely unless there's some unusual security software on your computer or you transferred this directory from another computer.)
  • Thanks for the help on this.
    I did have to to delete the .parentlock file - and with that the app launched and things look normal on the surface.

Is there any additional cleanup or resetting to do now?
  • Just check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • No errors found on the db integrity check
  • Is there a right best way to back up the local zotero files?
  • Thanks again D, your help has been much appreciated.
    I knew about deleting the .parentlock, but when I read the docs on it, it sounded like it might crap things out in a big way, so was hestitant to just do that - at least without trying to see what other knew and could tell me given the odd app behavior.

Have a good one.
  • I have exactly the same problem - cannot reinstall Zotero because an error message says it is already running. But when I go to Library - Application Support - Zotero I can't find a .parentlock file.

Any other suggestions?
  • @katedooley: First restart your computer if you haven't yet.

If that doesn't help, make sure you're actually looking in the Zotero profile directory for .parentlock, not just the Library → Application Support → Zotero folder.
  • restarting worked. thanks.
This discussion has been closed.