Bug in Citations in Word

Dear Zotero Community,

i am encountering a big problem with my Document. Whenever i click on any citations in the text , the text above diminishes, i cannot move up and down any more and word stops to react at all until i force it close using the task managern.
I working on a Mac , using word from , have updated Zotero to the newest version as well deleted and reinstallted the firefox connector.

I tried both to copy and paste and create a duplicate like proposed - didnt change anything.

Then i thought it it must a bugged citation, but even though i tried the method proposed of copying and narrowing down to the citation , i still dont get any further with this. It literally occurs with every single citation i know click in my text (which has a lot of citations by now).

This really makes working possible und truly affects me here. As it is the entire text (and copying and pasting nor the duplicate solves the problem) I somehow dont see any other option of copying it all by hand, so writing everything new.

I really dont understand this , so if anyone has a solution i am super grateful.

Best
Anne

• Does this happen in a new document, too?

Which Word version exactly?
  • it happens in a new document as well. Even when taking out all the citations which i now did by hand, starting off with just the text and then adding them again, it happens again

I use word 16.36 with a universtiy account
  • Thanks -- I meant, though, a completely new document. I.e. just insert one sentence and a random citation.

The error as you describe it sounds more Word than Zotero related (Zotero doesn't really do anything unless you click one of its buttons in Word), so I think I'd focus more on the rest of the Word document than on the Zotero citations (which are just Word fields)
  • @anne0712 Have you tried restarting Zotero and your computer? If Word freezes whenever you attempt to perform a Zotero command, it usually means that Zotero was closed inproperly last time and not reopened since. If that is not the case, it could be security software on the computer interfering.
  • Thanks @adomasven. Yes i have restarted my computer, and zotero various times , maybe as adamsmith pointed out it is a word problem. i am thinking of trying to use word on other laptop to see if the problems remains or not . maybe my word file is somehow damaged . Thank you for all your help anyway!
  • Could you produce a startup Debug ID from Zotero?