References not transferring from Zotero app to MS word correctly

Good afternoon,
Eveything I submit is required to be in APA format. The titles to my articles or book sections are supposed to be in sentence case. I put them in sentence case, but when I insert my reference list, everything changes to title case. I recently received a new computer. I was not having this problem with my older one. I have check the Zotero preferences and the MS word citation preferences. I cannot find where to fix the problem. Can someone give me some direction on this issue?
Thank you,
Brandy
  • edited April 18, 2020
    If you select APA as the style for the document and the items are entered in sentence case in Zotero, they should be in sentence case when you insert them into the document. Can you test that in a new document, just to make sure we're on the same page?
    I have check the Zotero preferences and the MS word citation preferences.
    The Word citation preferences have nothing to do with Zotero. Just to be clear, you're inserting these items using the Zotero Word plugin, not Word's built-in citation functionality, yes?
  • I closed the Zotero app and MS word. I opened everything up and tested it in a new document. It is still transferring my references in Title case not sentence case. I am using the Zotero Word plug in.
  • Could you paste an example reference here from Word?
  • I just uninstalled everything and am attempting to reinstall it. Due to that, I can't post an example but APA uses sentence case. That's how I would have it saved.

Ex: Jones, B. (2020) How to use citation software.

However, it transfers into my reference list as:

Jones, B. (2020) How To Use Citation Software.

I did not have this issue in my last computer. It transferred however it was saved. Now it's changed the case and leaving out the URL for certain websites, even though I have APA 6th edition checked (we are not moving to 7th edition until June).
  • Don't take drastic steps like uninstalling/reinstalling if you're already posting here — it's not necessary, and it makes it harder for us to help you.

Can you provide a Debug ID that shows the entire process of reproducing this, starting with creating a new document, and also provide the output you're getting?
  • Too late. I deleted and reinstalled. Now I cannot get the add on to link to MS word. This is the Debug ID I received when following the steps: D917588108
  • You'd have to say more about what's actually happening.
  • I deleted Zotero and redownloaded it. Now that it has been rerdownloaded, when I enable to the MS word plugin, it does not show up. I've gone through all the steps I found in the forum here. They do not work. I'm not sure what happened because my older computer had no issues with Zotero. The app works just fine. The Google Chome extension works too. The MS word plug on does not show up anymore and I can't find troubleshooting steps that successfully puts the plug-in in MS word. I may just have to look for a second software to install.
  • We're happy to help you, but as I say, if you just start deleting things, it makes it much harder for us to do so. So at this point, you'll need to be a little patient as we try to help you get back to a working state.

Follow these steps to get the toolbar back in Word:

https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear

If you're still having trouble, say exactly what you've tried, step by step, and what happened at each step.