"Zotero could not load the component necessary to communicate with your word processor."

• Hello, I'm not sure if this was resolved or not, but I'm also having this same issue. I was just using Zotero yesterday and today it's giving me the same error from the original post. The Report ID is 2072713199. This happens any time that I try to click on anything from the Zotero tab in Word or in Chrome.
  • "Zotero could not load the component necessary to communicate with your word processor. Go to Tools → Add-ons → Extensions in Zotero and make sure that the extension for your word processor is enabled."
    Make sure you've done what's suggested in the error error message.

Restarting your computer might help.
  • Yes, I've done all of it. I'm not sure what else I can do to fix this.
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option?
  • It is D2015391066
  • That's not for Zotero startup.
  • Oh sorry, I realize you asked for it using Restart with Logging Engable. D290311931
  • Do you see Word and LibreOffice sections if you go to the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences?

If not, close Zotero, go to your Zotero profile directory, and move extensions.json to your desktop, and then try again. If that fixes it, email the original extensions.json on your desktop to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread, and then delete it.
  • No that still didn't work. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall Zotero on another drive (SSD vs HDD), but no dice. D:
  • Do you have Zotero installed (i.e., the program files) in a non-standard location? Your error report shows a pretty weird folder setup, with a "Dropbox" folder within "Program Files".

Does it work in a new Zotero profile?
  • I previously had it on my HDD, where I install all programs that don't need to run super quickly. I just uninstalled and re-installed on my SDD, which is the default, but it didn't help anything.
    Worked with a new profile! Thank you so much! My dissertation also thanks you.
  • That's not meant as a fix, though, just troubleshooting. There aren't that many files in the profile directory, and most are automatically recreated, so it's just a question of figuring out what in the old profile is causing the problem.

With Zotero closed, make a backup of the entire old Zotero profile directory and start by deleting all extensions* folders and directories that appear in there.

(Once this is fixed, you should go back to the profile manager and delete the new profile and its files.)
  • This time when I deleted the extentions.json it started working. Deleted the new profile and it looks like everything is running again.