Unable to select tags from my notes

Hi.

I opened up my Zotero the other week after not using it for a couple of months and I'm unable to select the tags that I've attached to notes.
I've updated Zotero and looked around but can't find figure out what is going on.

If anyone could put me in the right direction it would be super appreciated.

thanks
Duncan
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Could you say more about exactly what you're trying to do and what's happening (or not happening)? See Steps to Reproduce for the kind of description that would be helpful.
  • Hi dstillman and thanks for getting back to me.
    Also thanks for pointing me back to the Steps to Reproduce page.

Report ID: 2120268852

Steps to Reproduce
    1. Start Zotero.
    2. Click on entry and add note.
    3. Add already established tag to note.
    4. Unable to click on tag in the tag selector.
  • I'm still not quite sure what you mean. In what way are you unable to click on the tag? Does it show up? What happens when you try?

Can you take a couple screenshots that show some of the things you're describing, upload them somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here?
  • Here's a dropbox link to a couple of screenshots.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jryju01auflo5g5/AAAKa92c1agWGGVaaSkFhG6Ka?dl=0

Tags associated from the top menu bar are fine but any tag related to a note can't be selected.

thanks.
  • What you're seeing is correct behavior.

You have the "A" tag selected, which matches the parent item. Note that the child notes are gray, meaning they're context rows that don't match the current search.

When you click a tag in the tag selector, it filters the item results, and it updates the tag selector to show only the tags that match the currently visible items — i.e., tags that exist along with "A" on those items.

The child notes aren't matching the search, and so their tags aren't shown in black. But since you have "Display All Tags in This Library" enabled in the tag selector, it displays all other tags that don't appear on any current search matches in gray. Adding a tag to a child note makes no difference, because the item still isn't a search match. If you unselect "A", you'll be able to click on the tag assigned to the child note.
  • I tried that but still the same problem.
    I was able to live with out those tags (A & a) so I ditched them hoping that might help.
    I've put another screen shot into the dropbox link starting with NEW1. Here I put in a new child tag (Indigenous RELATIONS) and I'm still unable to select any tag.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Click on another collection and click back on this one. Does that help?
  • What if you restart Zotero?
  • Still the same.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Can you reproduce this in a new collection, with just a single new item and child note? If so, can you provide a couple screenshots of that?
  • hello again.
    Just tried that and then also closed and restarted Zotero.
    There's a screenshot NEWTEST_ in the dropbox folder.
    That hasn't kickstarted either.
  • What do you see in that collection if you disable "Display All Tags in This Library"?
  • if I disable the Display All Tags everything goes.
  • That's truly bizarre. This isn't how Zotero should work — and it's not how it works for me — so I'm afraid the best I can suggest at the moment is to experiment and see if you can figure out what setting or sequence or state might be causing this. Tags on child items should definitely appear in the tag selector.
  • Thanks dstillman for all you help:)
    Yeah it's definitely an odd one and I'd tried everything I could think of before coming here. I'll keep plugging away at it and see what happens.
    Once again many thanks and really appreciate you having a look at this.