Transferring Zotero to a new computer

Hello, On the Zotero support page is recommends copying the entire Zotero data folder as the most reliable way to move my entire Zotero library to another computer. I wonder, however, if this is sufficient to allow me to access Zotero on my new computer or do I need to have Zotero installed first? (Apologies if this is a very basis question).

I note on the support page it states: 'If you've already opened Zotero on the new computer, there will already be a Zotero data directory with an empty database, and you should delete the whole data directory before copying the new directory to the same location.' This perhaps suggests that I do need to install Zotero first but it would be best not to open it before copying the data folder across? Or does this mean that it is better NOT to install Zotero on my new computer as it means an empty database will automatically be created and needs to be deleted before copying across the data folder? Many thanks for your time.
  • It makes no difference whether Zotero is installed or not before you copy the folder. The data directory isn't created until you open Zotero. The point is just that, if you've already opened Zotero, you'll have an empty data directory that you'll need to remove.
  • Many thanks. Apologies for my inaccurate explanation but my question is even more basic given my limited knowledge of how a database works. Do I need to install the Zotero software again with connector etc on my new computer or is it sufficient to just copy the data directory across (ie this is based on my assumption that the directory is underpinned with Zotero software and is like installing Zotero?). I suspect from your answer above that I need to install Zotero afresh on my new computer. If so, can I just place the copied Zotero data directory anywhere on my new computer and Zotero will access it?
  • edited March 30, 2020
    Yes, you need to install Zotero. The data directory is just your data, and it's like the data for any other program — if you don't have the actual program, the data on its own doesn't do anything.
    If so, can I just place the copied Zotero data directory anywhere on my new computer and Zotero will access it?
    No, you need to put it in the default data directory location. (You can move it afterward if you really want to and configure Zotero to look elsewhere, but we don't recommend that.)
  • Many thanks again. I have done as you suggested, installed Zotero on my new computer and navigated to the default data directory "Users-Karen-Zotero." When I clicked on Zotero - there were already three folders (Locate, Styles, Translators as well as 'Zotero.squilte'). I therefore copied across just the 'storage' folder of my copied Zotero data directory assuming that this was where the data was stored. I now see that I should also have copied across the old zotero.squilte file.
    Before I try this, I wonder if what I actually should be doing (going back to the original instruction you gave and I quoted in my first post) is delete the whole Zotero directory that is appearing in "Users-Karen-" and replace with the copied directory from my old computer?
This discussion has been closed.