You have modified this citation since zotero generated it MESSAGE IN WORD ON PC

Hello --

I am getting the following message:
"You have modified this citation since zotero generated it. do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates? Clicking yes will prevent zotero from updating this citation if you add additional citations, switch styles, or modify the reference to which it refers. Clicking no will erase your changes." And no matter which option I choose, all my citations are missed up.

I believe the copyeditor made changes to at least one of the citations during their review (I don't know which or how).

I am using the most up-to-date version of Zotero and editing via the Word plug-in on a PC.

I made this document so you can see what happens to the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Iqd39amr4UH-tG2XZ1ozeGmKuneXh1AJDs8ncRvHtL8/edit?usp=sharing.

Can someone help? I'd like to not have to redue over 100 citations by hand.

Thanks so much,
Sherri

• You should accept all changes and disable track changes before continuing to use the Zotero plugin.
  • The track changes were turned on to see what all was changed with the refresh. Which is how i could tell that all the citations got mucked up.

Is there anyway to add the new citations without it changing the other (aside from the number count after the added one)?

For example, i added a citation that would now be #23 but it not only changed the numbers after, but rearranged the citations for the references before it (which you can see in the screenshots).
  • For example, i added a citation that would now be #23 but it not only changed the numbers after, but rearranged the citations for the references before it (which you can see in the screenshots).
    Sorry, I'm not really following this. Can you be more specific?

But generally speaking, if things are working in a new document and you're having trouble in an existing document, you'll want to see Debugging Broken Documents.