Style Request - Biological Psychiatry

Hello,

I would like to use the citation style for Biological Psychiatry and would certainly appreciate any help with creating it. The style in the bibliography is similar to the American Psychological Association (APA) style, but with some significant differences.

Here are some examples in APA for a Book, Book Chapter, and Journal Article, respectively.

Beck, A. (1967). Depression: causes and treatment. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.

Beevers, C. G., & Wells, T. T. (2009). Genetic associations with cognitive vulnerability to depression. In R. Ingram (Ed.), The International Encyclopedia of Depression. New York: Springer Publishing Company.

Gotlib, I. H., Joormann, J., Minor, K. L., & Hallmayer, J. (2008). HPA axis reactivity: A mechanism underlying the associations among 5-HTTLPR, stress, and depression. Biological Psychiatry, 63, 847–851.

In Biological Psychiatry, they would look like this:

Beck A (1967): Depression: Causes and Treatment. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.

Beevers CG, & Wells TT (2009): Genetic associations with cognitive vulnerability to depression. In Ingram R, editor. The International Encyclopedia of Depression. New York: Springer Publishing Company, pp 170-173.

Gotlib IH, Joormann J, Minor K L, & Hallmayer J (2008): HPA axis reactivity: A mechanism underlying the associations among 5-HTTLPR, stress, and depression. Biol Psychiatry 63: 847–851.

So the changes from APA to Biological psychiatry are...

For all references: no comma between last name and initials, no periods after initials, no space between initials, no period between last author and date, colon rather than period after date.

For book chapters: editor initial after last name rather than before it, "editor" spelled out and not in parenthesis, page numbers for the chapter at the end of the reference.

For journal articles: journal name is shortened, no comma between journal name and volume, volume number is not italicized, colon after volume number rather than comma.

Also, in Biological Psychiatry, references are listed in the text as numbers so, if the first citation in text were (Beck, 1967) in APA, it would be changed to (1) for Biological Psychiatry. And the references are listed in numerical order in the bibliography in Biological Psychiatry, rather than in alpha by author.

I hope this is clear enough and would be happy to provide any additional information that you need. Thank you!
  • I hope to be at this soon, it's on my list.
    Do you have a link to a style guide/author instructions?
  • how does the number in the bibliography look?

(1) Beck A
    or
    1. Beck A
    or
    ???
  • OK, download the style here:
    http://gist.github.com/raw/160221/e82ba3556d3da87ceb4ad77e2c6dfe1c13a326ff/biological-psychiatry.csl

And install by dragging to Firefox.
    There are still some issues with punctuation (two consecutive periods etc) which I believe I can fix, but since I am not sure about a lot of things maybe you can have a look and say what isn't right yet.
  • Thank you very much! I'll take a look at this tomorrow (8/3) and get back to you. Thanks again.
  • And to answer your other questions in case it would still be helpful:

The link is

http://www.journals.elsevierhealth.com/periodicals/bps/authorinfo

It is about 1/3 of the way down the page under to bold heading "Manuscript File".

And, it would be

1. Beck AT

Thanks again!
  • It looks great! Just a few minor adjustments...

There should be a comma after each author but no ampersand (I was mistaken when I put it in above; I apologize). So, the authors should look like:

Gotlib IH, Joormann J, Minor K L, Hallmayer J (2008): HPA axis...

There does not need to be a period between the journal title and the volume number. So, for example, it should be like so:

Biol Psychiatry 63

rather than "Biol Psychiatry. 63"

Page numbers should be listed for book chapters and journal articles, but the "pp" should only be used for book chapters. The issue number of the journal article should be omitted in the citation. The doi should be omitted as well. In the text, the citation numbers in parentheses should be separated by commas rather than semicolons.

So, here are two examples of how it some citations look now:

1. Munafo M, Brown S & Hariri A (2008): Serotonin Transporter (5-HTTLPR) Genotype and Amygdala Activation: A Meta-Analysis. Biol Psychiatry. 63 (9): pp 852-857 doi: 10.1016/j.biopsych.2007.08.016.

2. Uher R & McGuffin P (2008): The moderation by the serotonin transporter gene of environmental adversity in the aetiology of mental illness: review and methodological analysis. Mol Psychiatry. 13 (2): pp 131-146 doi: 10.1038/sj.mp.4002067.

and how they would look after the changes mentioned above:

1. Munafo M, Brown S, Hariri A (2008): Serotonin Transporter (5-HTTLPR) Genotype and Amygdala Activation: A Meta-Analysis. Biol Psychiatry 63:852-857.

2. Uher R, McGuffin P (2008): The moderation by the serotonin transporter gene of environmental adversity in the aetiology of mental illness: review and methodological analysis. Mol Psychiatry 13:131-146.

I certainly appreciate your help and all the work you have done so far. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me. Thank you very much!
  • OK, that doesn't seem so bad, thanks for the detailed feedback, very helpful.
    You should be able to turn off the doi if you uncheck the respective option in the Export tab of the Zotero preferences.
    I'll get to the rest soon, but it will take some time. The stupid pp. thing means I have to write an extra if loop in the bibliography. Whoever comes up with these rules...
  • OK,I think I got it all. Go here
    http://gist.github.com/160221
    and download using the "Raw" link on the top right.
  • It looks great! Thank you very much!